Design for Excellence 2020
School Board adopts new vision and mission
The Chesterfield County School Board adopted new vision and mission statements on May 24. These words now guide the school system:
- vision — Chesterfield County Public Schools will provide an engaging and relevant education that prepares every student to adapt and thrive in a rapidly changing world.
- mission — Chesterfield County Public Schools, in partnership with students, families and communities, emphasizes and supports high levels of achievement through a global education for all, with options and opportunities to meet the diverse needs and interests of individual students.
The new vision and mission are part of the process to update the school system’s comprehensive plan, the Design for Excellence. The process began in October with six forums to spark community conversations on such topics as online education and the importance of science, technology, engineering and math.
After the forums, community members were invited to participate on three committees — called innovation teams — to revise the Design for Excellence. Parents, business representatives, community leaders and educators worked together from January through May to chart the future of Chesterfield County Public Schools through 2020. The proposal they developed has three overarching goals for what students should know and be able to do:
- Goal 1 — All learners will acquire, analyze, synthesize and evaluate information to solve meaningful problems and to achieve success as productive, thriving global citizens.
- Goal 2 — All learners will demonstrate the 21st-century learning and technology skills and knowledge that will prepare them for success in school, postsecondary education, work and life in a global society.
- Goal 3 — Working in partnership with school and family, all learners will understand, model and embrace the important attitudes and attributes necessary to be responsible global citizens.