Try these simple strategies for creating strong readers:
- Invite a child to read with you every day.
- When reading a book where the print is large, point word by word as you read. This will help the child learn that reading goes from left to right and understand that the word he or she says is the word he or she sees.
- Read many stories with rhyming words and lines that repeat. Invite the child to join in on these parts. Point, word by word, as he or she reads along with you.
- Discuss new words. For example, “This big house is called a palace. Who do you think lives in a palace?”
- Stop and ask about the pictures and about what is happening in the story.
Learn more: https://www2.ed.gov/parents/read/resources/readingtips/readingtips.pdf. #TableTalk