Photo: Chesterfield County Public Schools offers prekindergarten in 20 schools, including Davis Elementary where these students participated in Career Day in 2015.
There is still space in Chesterfield County Public Schools for 4-year-olds eligible for prekindergarten for the 2016-17 school year.
Chesterfield County Public Schools offers a limited number of prekindergarten spots in 20 schools to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. Children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 30 and who are zoned for a school that offers prekindergarten can apply. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. Acceptance is based on program requirements, which may include income restrictions.
Here are the dates to apply for prekindergarten classes:
- Apply for Reams or Providence elementaries 12:30-3 p.m. June 28 at Reams Elementary, 10141 Reams Road.
- Apply for Hopkins or Salem elementaries 12:30-3 p.m. June 29 at Hopkins Elementary, 6000 Hopkins Road.
- Apply for Harrowgate Elementary 12:30-3 p.m. July 6 at Harrowgate Elementary, 15501 Harrowgate Road.
- Apply for Bensley or Bellwood elementaries 12:30-3 p.m. July 12 at Bensley Elementary, 6600 Strathmore Road.
- Apply for Davis or Chalkley elementaries 12:30-3 p.m. July 13 at Davis Elementary, 415 S. Providence Road.
- Call 804-279-7357 to make an appointment to apply at Perrymont (8610 Perrymont Road) for any of those elementary schools or for Beulah, Marguerite Christian, Crenshaw, Crestwood, Ecoff, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Hening, Jacobs, Matoaca or Elizabeth Scott. Appointments will be scheduled 9 a.m.-1 p.m. July 19 and noon-4 p.m. July 21.
If you are unsure which school zone you live in, call 318-8743 or go online to the parents section of mychesterfieldschools.com and click “find my school.”
Children must accompany their parents when applying because each child will be given a brief developmental screening. Parents must also bring this information on application day:
- parent’s photo ID
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of income by providing one of these documents:
- W-2 form for each working parent
- 2015 tax form
- letter from an employer indicating period of employment and salary for each working parent
- two recent pay stubs for all jobs worked by any parent living in the home
- If applicable, also bring SNAP, TANF, SSI, SSA, unemployment and child support documents.
- proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form must bring the person they live with and that person must provide a lease, a deed or one of the other proofs of residency. Also, the parent of the incoming student must provide two documents (recent bills, for example) with his or her correct name and address.
Acceptance into prekindergarten is not first come, first served. Applying does not guarantee acceptance. If you have questions, call 804-279-7357.