Learning is great when it’s part of having fun
Your child worked hard all year, and you want her to retain what she’s learned. But you also want summer to be relaxing. To combine learning and fun:
- Have a family spelling bee. Give your child words that match her skills. Older players should have words that are right for them.
- Read together and discuss what you read. Choose books, poems and magazines your child will enjoy.
- Make math part of your day. Count how many steps you climb, measure ingredients and look for numbers everywhere.
- Ask questions about science and nature. “What if we mixed red and yellow paint?” “Why does that toy float in the bath?” “What kind of bug is that?”
- Make connections to history. Tell family stories about the past. Look at maps. Talk about how the world has changed.