Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way that community members connect with schools. Advisory committee members are appointed from each of the county’s five magisterial districts and include parents, teachers, staff members, students and other community members interested in helping Chesterfield County Public Schools achieve its vision of providing “an engaging and relevant education that prepares every student to adapt and thrive in a rapidly changing world.”
A total of 14 seats are currently open on the five advisory committees, with each committee having at least one seat available. Members serve two- or three-year terms. People interested in serving should apply no later than Aug. 28 by filling out a simple, online application at mychesterfieldschools.com/community/school-board-advisory-committees/. Each committee meets several times throughout the year; meetings are open to the public. For more information, email Deborah_Salyer@ccpsnet.net or
- The Citizen Budget Advisory Committee has one opening for a Midlothian District resident. This committee helps evaluate and allocate resources in alignment with the Design for Excellence 2020 strategic plan to ensure a high quality, effective and efficient school division. Meeting dates and times will be announced.
- The Special Education Advisory Committee has one opening for a Dale District representative. This committee seeks to inform and involve parents in special education matters that affect more than 7,000 students with disabilities in Chesterfield County Public Schools. The committee will meet 5-6:30 p.m. on Sept. 9, Oct. 7, Nov. 11, Jan. 13, Feb. 10, March 9, April 13, May 11 and June 8 at the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road.
- The Gifted Education Advisory Committee has one opening for a Matoaca District representative and one opening for a Midlothian District representative. This committee monitors and discusses gifted education program services in
relation to state regulations and the School Board-approved Plan for the Education of the Gifted. The committee will meet 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 8, Nov. 12, Feb. 11, March 10 and May 5 in the boardroom of the School Administration Building, 9900 Krause Road.
- The Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee has one opening for a Bermuda District representative and two openings for Midlothian District representatives. This committee supports career development initiatives. Thecommittee will meet at 8 a.m. on Sept. 17, Nov. 19, Jan. 21, March 17 and May 19 at the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road, and will participate in an event 6:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 21.
- The School Health Advisory Board has one opening for a Bermuda District representative, one opening for a Clover Hill District representative, one opening for a Dale District representative, two openings for Matoaca District representatives and two openings for Midlothian District representatives. This board helps develop health policy for the school division and evaluate school health, health education, school environment and health services. The committee will meet 7-9 p.m. on Sept. 14, Nov. 9, Jan. 11, March 14 and May 9 at the School Administration Building, 9900 Krause Road.