Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way that community members connect with schools. Advisory committee members are appointed from each of the county’s five magisterial districts and include parents, teachers, staff members, students and other community members interested in helping Chesterfield County Public Schools achieve its vision of providing “an engaging and relevant education that prepares every student to adapt and thrive in a rapidly changing world.”
Members serve two- or three-year terms, and seven seats are currently open. People interested in serving should apply no later than Aug. 19 by filling out an application at mychesterfieldschools.com/community/school-board-advisory-committees/. Each committee meets several times throughout the year; meetings are open to the public. For more information, email Adrienne_Hairston@ccpsnet.net or call 748-1897.
There are openings on these advisory committees:
- The Citizens Budget Advisory Committee has one opening for an at-large representative. The committee helps evaluate and allocate resources in alignment with the Design for Excellence 2020 strategic plan to ensure a high quality, effective and efficient school division. Meeting dates and times will be announced.
- The Gifted Education Advisory Committee has two openings for Dale District representatives and an opening for a Clover Hill District representative. The committee monitors and discusses gifted education program services in relation to state regulations and the School Board-approved Plan for the Education of the Gifted. The committee will meet at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 6, Nov. 3, Feb. 2, March 2 and May 4 in Room A256 of the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road.
- The Special Education Advisory Committee has an opening for a Bermuda District representative, an opening for a Clover Hill District representative and an opening for a Midlothian District representative. This committee provides advice and develops long-range plans for services for students with disabilities. The committee will meet 5-6:30 p.m. on Sept. 14, Oct. 5, Nov. 16, Jan. 11, Feb. 8, March 8, April 5, May 10 and June 7 in Room A256 of the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road. Also, the committee will convene 5-6:30 p.m. Aug. 17 at the Positive Vibe Café, 2825 Hathaway Road.
Currently, there are no openings on these advisory committees:
- The Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee supports career development initiatives. The committee will meet at 8 a.m. Sept. 15, Nov. 17, Jan. 19, March 16 and May 18 in Room A256 of the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road. Also, the committee will convene 6:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 3 for a special event at the Career and Technical Center @ Courthouse, 10101 Courthouse Road.
- The School Health Advisory Board helps develop health policy for the school division and evaluate school health, health education, school environment and health services. The committee will meet at 7 p.m. Sept. 12, Nov. 14, Jan. 9, March 13 and May 8 at the School Administration Building, 9900 Krause Road.