English for Speakers of Other Languages
ESOL Program Mission Statement
The mission of CCPS ESOL program is to equip English learners with the language skills they need to be socially and academically prepared to succeed in school and beyond.
The ESOL program provides:
- Sheltered, collaborative, and direct instruction to English learners
- Monitoring of student progress in English language development and academic success
- Professional development to ESOL and mainstream teachers for working with English learners
- Individualized support and consultation to school personnel regarding English learners
- Communication, collaboration, and dissemination of information to English learner stakeholders
- Resources and opportunities for community and school involvement for parents who are English leaners
- Outreach programs to empower minority parents to become decision makers and advocates for their children’s education
ESOL Program Description
The English for Speakers of Other Languages Program in Chesterfield County Public Schools is an English immersion program, which serves students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Criteria for entry, progress, and exit are based on student’s level of English language proficiency as measured by performance on research-based standardized statewide assessments.
- ESOL instruction is available to English learners.
- ESOL instruction incorporates Chesterfield County Public Schools curriculum, Virginia Standards of Learning, and WIDA’s English Language Development Standards.
- Instruction for English learners emphasizes development of listening, speaking, reading , and writing skills in English.
- ESOL instruction includes a variety of best practices that integrate language and content.
- Parent support is provided through outreach programs that address topics such as U.S. school culture, literacy, and English language development.
- Interpreter and translator services are available to CCPS schools.
- Funding is provided by CCPS and Title III under ESEA.
ESOL Center Locations
Elementary – All elementary school English learners are served in their home school.
- Falling Creek
- Salem Church
- Chesterfield Community
- James River
- Lloyd C. Bird
*FastTrack to Success Programs is a 2-year, center-based English immersion program serving students between the ages of 17 and 22. Criteria for entry, progress, and exit are based on a student’s age and level of English language proficiency.
Adult Education/GED/ESOL – (804) 768-6140