Prekindergarten applications are now being taken for the 2013-14 school year.
Chesterfield County Public Schools offers a limited number of prekindergarten spots to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. Prekindergarten is offered in these 12 elementary schools: Bellwood, Bensley, Beulah, Chalkley, Marguerite Christian, Davis, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Harrowgate, Hopkins, Providence and Reams Road.
Parents may apply immediately by calling 279-7357 to make an appointment; appointments will be available at multiple times and schools. Parents may also apply during any of three open application days scheduled noon-6 p.m. at the Fulghum Center (4003 Cogbill Road) on March 12, March 26 and April 9. Only a limited number of prekindergarten spots are available — applying does not guarantee acceptance. Applications received on or before May 15 will be reviewed equally; prekindergarten is not first-come, first-served. Students who are not initially accepted will be placed on a waiting list, in case a spot opens up during the year.
Children who will be 4 by Sept. 30, who show an educational need and who live in the school attendance zone may apply for prekindergarten. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. Parents who are unsure which school zone they live in may call 318-8743 or go online to mychesterfieldschools.com, go to the parents section, then click “find my school.”
So that they can complete a brief screening, children should accompany their parents when applying for prekindergarten. A health/physical form is not required until acceptance into the program. The child’s Social Security number is requested, and these items must be presented when applying:
- parent’s photo ID
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of income by providing one of these document options:
- two of the most recent pay stubs for all jobs worked by any parent living in the home
- W-2 form for each working parent in the home
- tax form for 2012
- TANF verification letter or form
- letter from an employer indicating period of employment and salary
- proof of county residency by providing one of these documents:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence or property in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
Questions? Call 279-7357, 279-7352 or 594-1671.