Chesterfield County Public Schools offers a limited number of prekindergarten spots to provide school-readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements.
Who can apply?
Children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 30, 2016, and who are zoned for a school that offers prekindergarten can apply. Acceptance into prekindergarten is not first come, first served. Acceptance is based on program requirements, which may include income restrictions.
When and where are applications accepted?
Chesterfield County Public Schools offers prekindergarten in19 schools. Families can apply at Perrymont (8610 Perrymont Road) between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. on these dates:
- March 1 for Ettrick, Harrowgate and Salem elementaries
- March 8 for Crestwood and Chalkley elementaries
- March 15 for Beulah and Hopkins elementaries
- March 22 for Bensley, Bellwood and Ecoff elementaries
- April 5 for Elizabeth Scott, Providence and Reams elementaries
- April 12 for Falling Creek and Davis elementaries
- April 19 for Crenshaw, Hening, Marguerite Christian and Jacobs elementaries
- April 26, May 3 and May 10 for all 19 schools
If you are unsure which school zone you live in, call 318-8743 or go online to the parents section of mychesterfieldschools.com and click “find my school.”
Your child must come with you when applying
Each child will be given a brief developmental screening.
What do you need to bring on application day?
- parent’s photo ID
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of income by providing one of these documents:
- W-2 form for each working parent
- 2015 tax form
- letter from an employer indicating period of employment and salary for each working parent
- two recent pay stubs for all jobs worked by any parent living in the home If applicable, also bring SNAP, TANF, SSI, SSA, unemployment and child support documents.
- proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form must bring the person they live with and that person must provide a lease, a deed or one of the other proofs of residency. Also, the parent of the incoming student must provide two documents (recent bills, for example) with his or her correct name and address.
Applying does not guarantee acceptance. Applications received by May 13 will be reviewed equally. Prekindergarten applications are taken year-round. Students who are not initially accepted are placed on a waiting list, in case a spot opens during the year. If you have questions, call 804-279-7357.