Chesterfield County Public Schools 2019-20
Every day counts in Chesterfield County Public Schools! Chesterfield County Public Schools continues to be cited as a model for
excellence in public education. Educators from outside of our school division routinely visit our nationally recognized schools to learn more about what we are doing, how we are doing it and why we are doing it.
As we implement our new strategic plan, Imagine Tomorrow, Team Chesterfield is on the cusp of creating classrooms of the future that will allow our students to soar to even greater heights. Our daily focus is to provide amazing learning experiences in remarkable learning environments while encouraging students and staff to exemplify personal responsibility and supportive relationships by embracing the six Cs:
- Critical Thinker
These principals are the foundation of the Strategic Plan: Imagine Tomorrow and are helping students achieve these goals:
Goal 1 — All students and staff will embody an Infinite Learner mindset.
Goal 2 — All students, staff, parents, and community members will exemplify a culture of safety, personal responsibility, and supportive relationships.
- More than 63,000 students attend 64 schools: 39 elementary schools (grades K-5), 12 middle schools (grades 6-8), 11 high schools (grades 9-12), which include 13 specialty centers, and two career and technical centers.
- $673.5 million operating budget (70.4 percent for instruction, 9.9 percent for operations and maintenance, 8.4 percent for debt, 5.5 percent for transportation, 3.1 percent for administration, attendance and health and 2.4 percent for technology)
- $11,068 cost per student
- 7,319 full-time and part-time positions in operating fund
- Approximately 38 percent of students qualify for free or reduced-price meals
Our reputation for success
The reputation of the public schools often inspires families to live in Chesterfield County. Chesterfield County Public Schools continues to be a leader in public education. While we don’t like for test scores to be the final judge of our success, our student achievement levels continue to meet and exceed state expectations.
- 100 percent of schools are fully accredited
- 90 percent on-time graduation rate
- 96 percent average daily attendance rate
- $34 million in accepted scholarships by the Class of 2019
- 59 percent of the Class of 2018 earned a more rigorous advanced diploma
If Chesterfield County Public Schools was a business, it would be one of the largest in the Richmond area — largest catering operation, largest transportation system, largest human resources operation, etc.
- $672.2 million operating budget for FY 2020
- 9 million miles traveled annually by buses
- 6 million meals served annually
- 7 million square feet of space cleaned and maintained daily
- 60,000 devices used by students and staff in a 1:1 initiative
Our School Board
The School Board is the governing body of Chesterfield County Public Schools:
- Ann Coker, Bermuda District
- Dorothy Heffron, Clover Hill District
- Debbie Bailey, Dale District
- Ryan Harter, Matoaca District
- Kathryn Haines, Midlothian District
Dr. Merv Daugherty
Our schools’ performance
Chesterfield County Public Schools continues to receive state, regional and national recognition for its outstanding schools.
- Seven National Blue Ribbon Schools
- Seven National Title I Distinguished Schools
- Seven Middle Schools to Watch
- 17 Virginia Index of Performance awards
Chesterfield County Public Schools receives thousands of applications a year to join our team. Therefore, we are able to choose the best, brightest and most innovative individuals to work for us.
- 4,300-plus full-time teachers
- 1,750-plus educators with a master’s degree or a doctorate
- 100 National Board Certified Teachers
- 99 percent of classes taught by teachers designated as highly qualified
The school division website (mychesterfieldschools.com) is a great way to keep up with news and activities. Here are others:
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/chesterfieldschools)
- Twitter (twitter.com/ccpsinfo)
- Instagram (instagram.com/oneccps
- YouTube (www.youtube.com/ccpsva)
- Friday Family Update (Sign up for this free newsletter by going to mychesterfieldschools.com and click the email icon in the top right corner of the screen.)
- Chesterfield EdTV on Comcast 96, Verizon 26 and online at chesterfieldschoolsva.swagit.com/original- programming/
- email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 804-748-1405 or mail
P.O. Box 10,
Chesterfield, VA 2383