In addition to the broad spectrum of programs in each comprehensive high school, Chesterfield County Public Schools offers high school students the opportunity to participate in optional academic programs related to special interests.
During their eighth-grade year, students decide whether or not to apply to a specialty center within Chesterfield County Public Schools, to a governor’s school or to a regional technology school. Here’s how middle school students and parents can learn more:
- Watch this five-minute video offering an overview of Chesterfield County specialty centers: youtu.be/qkZw1fFPVe8.
- Go to bit.ly/ccpsSC for more details about specialty centers within Chesterfield County Public Schools and go to bit.ly/RegionalOps for details about regional schools open to Chesterfield County students: Appomattox Regional Governor’s School, Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School and CodeRVA.
- Attend one or more open houses at specialty centers and regional schools, which are listed below and are also listed at bit.ly/CCPSoptions.
- Review all of the details available at bit.ly/CCPSoptions.
Here is the 2021-22 timeline for eighth-graders who want to apply to a specialty center or regional school during high school:
- At ccpsopportunities.com, the applications for specialty centers and governor’s schools are available starting Oct. 15 and the application for CodeRVA is available starting Jan. 3.
- Deadline to apply for specialty centers and governor’s schools is 11:59 p.m. Dec. 1, and deadline to apply for CodeRVA is 11:59 p.m. Feb. 18.
- In March, students will find out if they have been accepted.
Here are the open houses at specialty centers and regional schools:
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 19: Humanities Specialty Center at Monacan High
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 20: Health Professions and Therapies Specialty Center at Monacan High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 25: Mathematics and Science High School at Clover Hill
- 6-7 p.m. Oct. 26: CodeRVA (will also be available via Zoom)
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 3: Health Science Specialty Center at Cosby High
- 6-8:30 p.m. Nov. 3: Appomattox Regional Governor’s School
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 8: Information Technology Specialty Center at Matoaca High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 9: Specialty Center for the Arts at Thomas Dale High
- 6:30-9 p.m. Nov. 10: Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 11: Mass Communications Specialty Center at Manchester High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 15: Leadership and International Relations Specialty Center at James River High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: Meadowbrook Academy for Developing Entrepreneurs at Meadowbrook High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: International Baccalaureate Program at Meadowbrook High (for students zoned for Bird, Manchester, Matoaca, Meadowbrook and Thomas Dale high schools)
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: International Baccalaureate Program at Midlothian High (for students zoned for Clover Hill, Cosby, Midlothian, Monacan and James River high schools)
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 17: Spanish Immersion Specialty Center at Manchester High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 18: Governor’s Academy for Engineering Studies at Bird High
- 6-7 p.m. Dec. 14: CodeRVA (will also be available via Zoom)
Students and parents who have questions about specialty centers and regional schools should contact their school counselor or email [email protected].