Special Education Profile
The Vision Statements and Guiding for the Office of Special Education are aligned with the Chesterfield County Public Schools Design for Excellence 2020, pertaining to Student Engagement; Safe, Supportive, and Nurturing Learning Environments; Community of Learners; Community Involvement; and Quality Services and Operations. We share high expectations for all students to learn 21st Century knowledge and skills toward becoming lifelong learners and productive citizens. Our vision statements are also grounded in best practices for students with disabilities and based upon knowledge of our current performance and practice.
- Students will achieve to their potential, resulting in the reduction of the achievement gap between students with disabilities and non-disabled peers.
- Each school embraces an inclusive culture. Students are provided instruction in general education settings in their home schools with the supports they need to achieve. Students are included in classrooms with non-disabled peers, receiving rigorous instruction from teams of highly qualified teachers who make data-driven instructional decisions based upon the skills, knowledge and needs of their students.
- The literacy skills of all students are enhanced through the balanced literacy model and research-based interventions provided through collaboration among general and special education instructional staff.
- Each eligible student has a legally compliant Individualized Education Program (IEP) developed for his or her individual needs to provide specially designed instruction in order to access the general education curriculum.
- Special education leaders collaborate with general education instructional leaders in a unified way to ensure excellence in curriculum and instruction that serves the needs of all students.
- Students will prepare to transition to sustainable, competitive employment, further education and/or training.
- Students will be empowered to become self-directed learners by understanding their rights and their abilities, thus allowing them to become productive citizens.
Safe, Supportive, and Nurturing Learning Environments
- Schools and classrooms provide high quality curriculum and differentiated instruction to a diverse student body, attuned to the strengths and needs of individual students. A continuum of services reflects appropriate levels of push-in and pull-out services based upon student needs at every school to support student growth and achievement.
- Schools and classrooms employ research-based instructional interventions to systematically intervene and provide progress monitoring for students who are struggling with achievement.
- Students thrive in learning environments rooted in prevention-based behavioral interventions and positive behavioral supports that seek the causes and effects of student misbehavior. School staff plan and implement behavioral interventions and teach students appropriate conduct, striving for positive student outcomes, resulting in maximized instructional time and reduction of the frequency of suspensions for students with disabilities.
Community of Learners
- Every teacher of students with disabilities is highly skilled in content areas in which they teach and in strategies to provide instruction to a diverse student body.
- Every teacher and support staff member working with students with disabilities receives ongoing training through a variety of sources on instructional and procedural practices and implements those to ensure student success and procedural compliance.
- Every new staff member serving students with disabilities is supported through school, and instructional division staff.
- School and division-based special education leaders learn, model, and share research based instructional and procedural practices to ensure student success and procedural compliance.
- Every parent is informed about special education instruction; services and procedures through a variety of methods and is actively involved in the education of his or her child.
- Successful partnerships exist among parents, staff, business and community organizations to support services for every student.
- Staff members successfully collaborate with parents regarding services for their children.
- Successes for students and staff are celebrated and recognized in a systematic way.
Quality Services and Operations
- Special education staff at all levels implement systems for providing instructional services and monitoring performance.
- CCPS employs systems for the recognition of and accountability for compliance with federal, state and local special education mandates.
- The Department of Curriculum and Instruction and the Department of Special Education work in collaboration to support the achievement of all students.
- Special education and general education staff responsively and effectively support the improved achievement of each student in every school through collaboration among families, school staff, and community.
Chesterfield County Public Schools Vision Statement
We envision that every Chesterfield school will be a thriving, dynamic and inspiring educational environment that produces self-directed learners and stimulates citizens of all ages to trust in, invest in and benefit from public education.
Director, Department of Special Education
Chesterfield County Public Schools
Phone: (804) 639-8918