Our program is based on educational need. We accept qualifying children who will be 4 years of age by September 30. The program is designed to give children an early start learning language and math concepts along with social skills. Our class caps at 16 students with one teacher and one assistant. We follow the Chesterfield County schedule for elementary schools.
These programs operate five days a week within the same hours as the schools where they are based. The classroom environment is guided by a research-based curriculum aligned with the state preschool standards, which promotes children’s emotional, social, cognitive and physical growth. Children’s development is reported to parents twice a year. Bus transportation is available. Free or reduced-price lunches are available for children from families that qualify.
Chesterfield County Public Schools offers prekindergarten services to children who meet specific eligibility criteria at several elementary school sites. Prekindergarten is a full day program that follows CCPS school calendar and school hours. CCPS’s prekindergarten office’s mission is to provide early childhood education services to Chesterfield County’s four-year old children who are most in need, as determined by the family’s economic needs and environmental risk factors that may impact the child’s Kindergarten readiness.
All CCPS prekindergarten programs utilize the research-based curriculum, The Creative Curriculum for Preschool. Our adopted curriculum helps teachers create a high-quality learning environment and build a thorough understanding of best practices. Through individual studies (which are hands-on, project-based learning investigations), the curriculum helps students build confidence, creativity and critical thinking skills across content and developmental areas to promote positive outcomes.
Prekindergarten programs are funded through the Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI), federal Head Start and Title 1 grants awarded to the school division. Acceptance into a CCPS prekindergarten classroom is granted as slots are available after a complete application has been submitted, reviewed, and scored. Applications are accepted the entire year and invitations for enrollment are based on the child’s ranking on the waitlist rather than via a first-come, first-serve basis.
Children must be four years old on or before Sept. 30 of the upcoming school year and reside in Chesterfield County. There are no exceptions to age and residency requirements. There is no cost to families for the programming and transportation is provided in accordance with CCPS transportation guidelines.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply Online (Spanish)
Child Care VA
Child Care Aware VA
Here are the documents you’ll need to upload with your application:
- Child’s certified birth certificate (original document).
- Proof of income for all individuals contributing to the family. You may provide one of the following: 2020 W2; 2020 1040 tax form; two most recent check stubs; TANF verification; or a letter from your employer indicating period of employment and salary, child support, social security benefits and/or unemployment.
- Current lease/mortgage agreement. If not in your name, you will need to complete a residency affidavit, which we will notarize. The homeowner or person renting the home must be present with you at the time of your scheduled appointment.
- Current utility bill (gas, electric, water, etc.) in your name, dated within the past 30 days.
- Picture I.D. (military I.D., driver’s license, DMV I.D. or other photo I.D.)
- Medical and dental insurance cards.
- Current physical/immunization examination report, completed within one year before the start of the preschool school year. Page one must be completed and signed by the student’s parent or guardian.
- Completed dental exam form, dated within the past six months.
- Court-ordered custody papers, if applicable.
If anything is missing in your application, a staff member will contact you.
Prekindergarten Classroom Sites:
Chester Early Childhood Learning Academy serving: Bellwood, Bensley, Beulah, M. Christian, Curtis, C.C. Wells, Ecoff, Enon, Harrowgate, Gates, Salem Church, Elizabeth Scott
School Based Programs at the following schools: Bon Air, Chalkley, Crenshaw, Crestwood, A.M. Davis, Ettrick, Falling Creek, Hening, Hopkins, Jacobs Road, Matoaca, Providence, Reams Road
Eligible students who live within the attendance zone of a school with a PreK classroom are considered first. If you are unsure which school zone you reside in, please use the Find my School feature
Please email any questions to email@example.com or call our office at 804-706-6061.