At Scott Elementary school, all students benefit from a diverse population of families, representing over 16 languages and cultural backgrounds. The Scott ESOL team (English for Speakers of Other Languages) supports these second language students by providing a supportive environment which focuses on improving language acquisition in a collaborative or traditional setting emphasizing the 4 language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing while promoting the highest academic achievement across all grade levels and subjects.
Aligned with Chesterfield County’s Design for Excellence 2020, our goal is to emphasize mastery of 21st century skills and prepare students to compete in a global community where they are urged to celebrate their cultural heritage and embrace the inherent advantages of being bi-lingual in a global society. Further development of students’ home language and literacy is highly encouraged to further this goal.
ESL PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
Every English Learner, Always, in ALL Ways!
ESL PROGRAM VISION STATEMENT
We are committed to meeting the individual needs of our English Learners by ensuring equitable access to engaging, high-quality, and rigorous instruction. We empower our Els to be global citizens who are linguistically, socially, and culturally equipped for success in school and beyond.
The ESL program provides:
- Sheltered, collaborative, and direct instruction to English learners
- Monitoring of student progress in English language development and academic success
- Professional development to ESL, mainstream teachers, school counselors and administrators for working with English learners
- Individualized support and consultation to school personnel regarding English learners
- Communication, collaboration, and dissemination of information to English learner stakeholders
- Resources and opportunities for community and school engagement for parents who are English leaners
- Outreach programs to empower minority parents to become decision makers and advocates for their children’s education
ESL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The English as a Second Language Program in Chesterfield County Public Schools is an English immersion program, which serves students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Criteria for entry, progress, and exit are based on student’s level of English language proficiency as measured by performance on research-based standardized statewide assessments.
- ESL instruction is available to English learners.
- ESL instruction incorporates Chesterfield County Public Schools curriculum, Virginia Standards of Learning, and WIDA’s English Language Development Standards.
- Instruction for English learners emphasizes development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English.
- ESL instruction includes a variety of best practices that simultaneously integrate and develop language and content.
- Parent support is provided through outreach programs, such as Parent as Educational Partners (PEP) that address topics such as U.S. school culture, literacy, and English language development.
- Interpreter and translator services are available to CCPS schools.
- Funding is provided by CCPS and Title III Part A under ESEA.
ESL Catchment Center Locations
Elementary – All elementary school English learners are served in their home school.
- Elizabeth Davis
- Falling Creek
- Manchester (serves ELs from Bailey Bridge & Swift Creek MS)
- Providence (serves ELs from Midlothian MS)
- Salem Church
- Tomahawk Creek
- Carver College & Career Center*
- James River (serves ELs from Monacan & Midlothian HS)
- Lloyd C. Bird (serves ELs from Matoaca HS)
- Manchester (serves ELs from Cosby & Clover Hill HS)
- Thomas Dale
*FastTrack to Success Programs is a two-year, center-based English immersion program serving students between the ages of 17 and 22. Criteria for entry, progress, and exit are based on a student’s age and level of English language proficiency.