The overall purpose of PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
- Collaboration: We will work in partnership with a wide array of individuals and organizations to broaden and enhance our ability to serve and advocate for all children and families.
- Commitment: We are dedicated to children’s educational success, health, and well-being through strong family and community engagement, while remaining accountable to the principles upon which our association was founded.
- Diversity: We acknowledge the potential of everyone without regard, including but not limited to: age, culture, economic status, educational background, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, legal status, marital status, mental ability, national origin, organizational position, parental status, physical ability, political philosophy, race, religion, sexual orientation, and work experience.
- Respect: We value the individual contributions of members, employees, volunteers, and partners as we work collaboratively to achieve our association’s goals.
- Accountability: All members, employees, volunteers, and partners have a shared responsibility to align their efforts toward the achievement of our association’s strategic initiatives.
What is a Council PTA?
A Council PTA is a group of local units organized for promoting PTA/PTSA issues within a certain boundary. In the Virginia Congress of PTAs, we have approximately 114 councils. Council PTAs operate under State PTA-approved bylaws, just like local PTA units. They are valuable sources of communication, resources, guidance, and information.
The goals of Chesterfield County Council PTA are to support our local PTA units in Chesterfield County by providing leadership training and guidance, offering programs to educate our PTA leaders and families, and by serving as a communication link with our School Board, school system administrators, and the higher levels of PTA (James River District, State, and National PTA).
A Message for Parents/Families
There are all kinds of parent groups out there, but there is only one PTA. The oldest and largest child advocacy association in America, PTA is the defining organization for parent involvement. We are a nationwide network of families, educators, and other concerned adults who advocate for children at all levels of decision-making. In addition to involvement at individual schools, PTA has a voice in district, state, and national conversations about improving education, health, and safety conditions for America’s children. Many of the benefits our children receive today, such as universal kindergarten, the National School Lunch Program, and a juvenile justice system, were accomplished as a result of PTAs mission.
With PTA, families also have access to notable benefits, including:
- Dozens of national programs, experts, and turnkey resources
- Regular updates and advice from all levels of PTA: National, State, District, County, and Local Units
- Leadership development
- Millions of dollars in grants
- National Awards
- Cost Savings from national retailers and other PTA partners
- Support services and staff to help establish and manage your PTA
- Networking opportunities at PTA conventions and conferences
To join PTA or discuss how to bring PTA to your school, please contact Ben Pearson-Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Best wishes on a great school year!
Ben Pearson-Nelson, President
Chesterfield County Council PTA
*Much of this information is excerpted from National PTA’s website.