School Entrance Age
Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30 of the school year to be eligible to attend kindergarten. There are no exceptions to this state requirement.
Daylong prekindergarten programs for at-risk 4-year-olds are available at a few elementary schools. Also, there is a prekindergarten program for children with disabilities who must be 2 years old by Sept. 30 to enroll. Each year, Chesterfield County Public Schools conducts Child Find to locate children with disabilities who need special education services or Section 504 services. If you suspect your child may have a disability, contact the Office of Special Education at 639-8918 or your child’s home school.
Students must reside with a parent or legal guardian in Chesterfield County to attend Chesterfield County Public Schools. The school system may re-verify residency any year a student is enrolled in Chesterfield County Public Schools. Students attend the school in their attendance area unless a waiver is granted or they are accepted into a center-based or specialty program.
New students should register during office hours at their home school. For school attendance zone information, use the find my school feature.
To register for school, proof of county residency is required by providing one of these documents:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form when registering must bring the person they live with. That person must provide proof of county residency, and the parent of the incoming student must provide two supporting documents with their name and correct address. Also, the parent of the incoming student must provide two supporting documents with his or her name and correct. address.
In addition, a student enrolling in a Virginia public school for the first time must provide a certified original birth certificate (or school age affidavit in accordance with state law), record of a physical examination (performed within the past 12 months) and updated records listing dates of each state-required immunization.
The Chesterfield County Health Department offers immunizations by appointment only (768-7558) , and many childhood vaccines are free. For more information about immunizations, go to https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/.
It is helpful if transferring students provide a report card from their previous school and, if applicable, a copy of an Individualized Education Program. After registration is completed, the Chesterfield school will request a transfer of records from the previous school.
School Registration Forms
Please download and print the necessary registration documents, fill out, then bring them to registration.
|Family Resource Guide Brochure February 2021||February 25, 2021||Download|
|2021 Housing Questionnaire||February 25, 2021||Download|
|Housing Questionnaire (SPAN)||March 3, 2021||Download|
|CCPS Student Registration Form||April 11, 2022||Download|
|CCPS Student Registration Form - SPanish||April 11, 2022||Download|
|Lives with Form 1418A||August 21, 2019||Download|
|Lives with Form 1418A - Spanish||August 21, 2019||Download|
|Proof of residency Form AAA-1418||August 21, 2019||Download|
|Proof of Residency AAA-1418 - Spanish||August 21, 2019||Download|
|School Entrance Health Form MCH213G||July 21, 2021||Download|
|School Entrance Health Form MCH213G - Spanish||July 21, 2021||Download|