- Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30, 2022 to register
- Students must reside with a parent/legal guardian in Chesterfield County to attend a Chesterfield County school. Students attend the school in their attendance area unless a waiver is granted.
Why should I preregister my child online for kindergarten?
- The preregistration process adds your child to the school district’s student information system. Schools will use this information to schedule in-person follow up appointments with families of incoming kindergartners.
What if I choose not to send my 5-year-old child to school and want to wait another year?
- Section 22.1-254(I) of the Code provides an exception for children who are not yet 6 years old. If you choose to delay kindergarten enrollment, you will need to submit a letter expressing your choice to your child’s school.
I am a parent who is new to Chesterfield County Public Schools, and I do not have a username and password to sign in and preregister my child online. How do I get a username and password?
- View the “Online Preregistration for Parents New to Chesterfield County Public Schools” video shown above to learn how to create your account.
I want to preregister my child online, but I don’t have Internet access. Where can I get free Internet access?
- The school division’s technology network is available at all Chesterfield County schools and can be accessed while in a school parking lot.
- Comcast also has informed the school division that its Xfinity hotspots are open for public use during this public health crisis. Visit here to find the location closest to you: https://wifi.xfinity.com/
Which school do I call if I have questions about the registration process?
- Families are asked to call the elementary school their child is zoned to attend.
- Go to bit.ly/CCPS-FindMySchool to find the school a student is zoned to attend or call 804-639-8915 for assistance.
Do I have to have an in-person appointment to complete my child’s kindergarten registration?
- Yes, in order to safely adhere to mitigation strategies and social distancing guidelines, families will need to have an appointment to complete the in-person portion of the registration process.
- Because registrars need to verify enrollment documentation in person, registration may not take place virtually.
Where can I find the phone number to my child’s school?
What do I need to bring with me to the in-person kindergarten registration appointment?
- The child’s certified original birth certificate or a school age affidavit in accordance with state law
- Parent/guardian’s photo ID
- One of these proofs of residency to the registration:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form must bring the person they live with to registration. That person must provide a lease, deed or one of the other proofs of Chesterfield County residency, and the parent of the incoming kindergartner must provide two supporting documents showing his or her name and correct address.
When is the first day of school?
- Aug. 22, 2022 is the first day of school on the traditional school calendar.
- July 18, 2022 is the first day of year-round school at Bellwood and Falling Creek elementary schools.
- Kindergarten students will have staggered start dates. Families can access school calendars at bit.ly/CCPS-Calendars
What are the staggered start dates for kindergartners attending a school on the traditional calendar?
- Some kindergarten students will attend Aug. 22-23; other kindergarten students will attend Aug. 24-25. (Schools will assign students to specific days.)
- All kindergarten students will report to school daily starting Aug. 26.
What are the staggered start dates for kindergartners attending year-round school at Bellwood or Falling Creek elementary schools?
- Students with last names beginning A-L will attend on July 18-19.
- Students with last names beginning M-Z will attend on July 20-21.
- All kindergarten students will report to school daily starting July 22.
What items are required by the first day of school?
- Medical records showing their child has had a physical examination within the past 12 months
- Medical records listing the dates of each state-required immunization
What can I do to help prepare my child for kindergarten?
- Visit our Kindergarten Readiness website for helpful tips and ideas that will help you prepare your child for kindergarten: bit.ly/CCPS-KReady
- Subscribe to our Office of Family and Community Engagement’s K Ready newsletter for fun activities and simple ways to help prepare your child for their upcoming transition into kindergarten: https://www.smore.com/05317
I homeschooled my student this year. What documentation will I need to register for first grade?
- Each child’s situation is unique, please contact your child’s school for individualized guidance.