The school counseling program at Falling Creek Elementary School is designed to assist your child in making the most of his or her educational experiences. As your child’s counselors, we are concerned about his or her emotional well-being, academic progress, and personal and social development. Because there are so many situations that interfere with a child’s learning process, we are here to help students work through those issues. We provide students with early interventions as well as preventative strategies so that ALL students can do their individual best EVERY day.
What does a school counselor do?
The role of the elementary counselor is to guide, advise, recommend, consult, and assist with the near limitless variety of concerns that students, parents, teachers, administrators, and the community at large may have. Specifically, the thrust of the counseling program is defined by three major goals:
- To assist students with personal and academic concerns such as coping with stress, learning to study, and behaving appropriately in class.
- To help students develop educational and career decision-making skills including knowing how to make decisions, developing individual interests and abilities, and learning about jobs and careers.
- To aid students in developing interpersonal skills such as resolving conflicts.
Implement the elementary school counseling curriculum;
Guide individuals and groups of students through the development of educational, personal, social and career plans;
Counsel individuals and small groups of children toward social and emotional growth;
Consult with teachers, parents and staff regarding children’s needs;
Refer children with problems and their parents to special programs, specialists and outside agencies;
Participate in, coordinate and conduct activities that contribute to the effective operation of the counseling program and school;
Participate in and facilitate the intervention team process;
Plan and evaluate the counseling program;
Pursue continuous professional growth.
The mission of the Falling Creek Elementary School Counseling Program is to encourage lifelong learning by teaching students imperative life skills they will need to be successful academically and socially. By partnering with all major stakeholders of our students’ lives, this comprehensive, school counseling program will empower students by nurturing their self-confidence, fostering their communication skills, developing their career interests, and encouraging them to be productive, positive members of school and their community. The goal of providing individual counseling, small group counseling, classroom guidance and school-wide preventative programs is to ensure that the needs of our students are being met so that they are able to achieve their highest potential.
As school counselors at Falling Creek Elementary School, we believe that all students:
have the ability to learn and with a supportive school community, they can achieve their individual academic best; deserve a school environment in which they feel safe and respected, that fosters their academic and social growth, and that promotes acceptance and appreciation for all; and can have positive experiences in their elementary school years which will provide learning opportunities that shape kind, caring, and productive citizens.
As school counselors at Falling Creek Elementary School, we will:
- advocate for every child’s academic and social best interests;
- be available to all students on an as-needed, short-term individual basis, conduct small groups that focus on prevention and skill refinement, and teach classroom guidance lessons that address social/emotional, academic, and career development;
- work with all major stakeholders in students lives to provide a proactive, comprehensive school counseling program that is in accordance with the goals and competencies set forth by the state of Virginia, the Virginia School Counselor Association and the American School Counselor Association’s National Model;
- and consistently assess the needs of the school community and use that data to actively drive the counseling program.
Classroom Guidance Lessons
Classroom Guidance is a developmental program of classes designed to foster students’ academic, career, and personal/social development. Classes are preventative in nature and empower students with self-knowledge, coping strategies, and life skills that will assist them in becoming problem solvers, collaborative workers, and responsible citizens.
Common Classroom Guidance Topics:
- Bullying Prevention
- Decision Making
- Getting Along with Others
- Stress Management
- Internet Safety
- Positive School Behaviors
- Career Exploration
- Peer Pressure
- Following Directions/Listening Skills
Additional Counseling Services:
- Student Athletes for Education (SAFE) (High School Mentoring Program)
- Success SOL Tutoring Program (High School SOL Tutoring Program)
- 5th Grade Transition Program with Falling Creek Middle School
- Swift Creek YMCA Bright Beginnings
- Gifted Test Assessment
- Crisis Intervention/Abuse Prevention
- Consultation/Collaboration with school personnel and parents/guardians
- Referrals to Community Agencies
- FoodBank Backpack Program
- Student Get-to-know Lunch Bunches
School Wide Programs
- Chesterfield Goes to College and Career Awareness
- Internet Safety
- Bullying Prevention
- Peaceful School Bus
- Effective School Wide Discipline
- Safety Patrol