Here are some tips and tricks for using the Chromebook.
(Getting started note: ctrl + anything means to hold down the Ctrl button and another key. Example: Ctrl + H would mean to hold down the Ctrl key and press H at the same time.)
- Chromebooks do not have a Caps Lock button, instead you have to use alt + search. To get the caps lock off, use alt + search again OR hit the shift key
- They also don’t have regular mouse buttons. To right click, tap two fingers on the trackpad (that’s the black rectangular area where you drag your fingers to control the mouse).
- Without mouse buttons, highlighting also works differently. To highlight something on your screen, hold one of your fingers on the trackpad while dragging another finger.
- Frequently Used Chromebook Keys
Look at the picture of your keyboard. Key buttons have been labeled F1 – F10.
- decrease the volume – F9
- increase the volume – F10
- mute sound- F8
- increase the brightness of the screen- F7
- make the screen darker (decrease brightness)- F6
- move forward in a browser- F2
- move backward in a browser- F1
- go full screen when watching a movie- F4
- refresh the screen- F3
- minimize the screen- F5
- screenshot- ctrl + F5
- screenshot portion of the screen- ctrl + shift + F5
- Split Screen Shortcut Alt + [
This feature is great for students who need to watch a video and take notes on their Chromebook at the same time. It’s also helpful if students need to watch their teacher in a virtual class meeting and look at their assignment/ resource at the same time.
- Other Helpful Chromebook Shortcuts
- Ctrl + f =to find something in a doc (search feature)
- Ctrl + t =open a new tab
- Ctrl + w =closes the current tab
- Ctrl + n =new window
- Ctrl + p = print
- Ctrl + c =copy
- Ctrl + v =paste
- Ctrl + o =opens files from student drive or downloads
- Ctrl + ? =chromebook help
- Ctrl + h = clear browsing history
- Ctrl + j =access downloads
- Change their “selfie” image
- Click on their pic at the bottom right corner of the screen
- Go into “settings”
- Scroll down until they see their pic
- Click on their pic
- Click on the camera icon
- Take selfie 🙂