May 6 is School Lunch Hero Day #
Let’s thank our Food and Nutrition Services team on May 6, which is School Lunch Hero Day. Word is they’ll be sporting special shirts (that may or may not include capes)!
“Resilience” is vital for all of us #
You’re invited to a viewing of the documentary “Resilience: the Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope,” plus a panel discussion and on-site resources for stressed families. The discussion will feature Keith Cartwright, Adverse Childhood Experiences coordinator for the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, and Dr. Connie Honsiger, trauma education specialist for Chesterfield County Public Schools.
Register now at https://rebrand.ly/SupportingResilience for this free opportunity, which starts at 6:30 p.m. May 9 at the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road. CCPS teachers who attend will receive 2 recertification points.
“Resilience” explores the correlation between toxic stress and trauma experienced in childhood and the psychological and physical impacts in adulthood. The Adverse Childhood Experience study is explained, and the panel discussion will include information on work within Chesterfield County Public Schools.
CCPSOnline fees and extended deadline for 2022-23 #
Within Chesterfield County Public Schools, fees can be waived or reduced for students with economic hardships. This includes CCPSOnline, which offers high school classes online. To provide all families equitable access to CCPSOnline classes, the registration deadline for classes for the 2022-23 school year has been extended to 5 p.m. May 16. Click here for the CCPSOnline fee schedule for 2022-23. The fee for a resident student seeking one additional course through CCPSOnline can be reduced based on federal meal qualification:
- A student who qualifies for free meals can request a 100% fee reduction (and pay no fee).
- A student who qualifies for reduced-price meals can request an 80% fee reduction (and pay 20% of the fee).
Wi-Fi hot spots available for checkout
The Chesterfield County Public Library has Wi-Fi hotspots available for checkout. Hotspots provide internet access when you don’t have a connection at home. They are a great option for remote workers and students and can provide access on the road, in the home or almost anywhere you need a Wi-Fi connection. Click here for more information or review these flyers in English and in Spanish.
Upcoming dates #
- May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- May is Better Hearing and Speech Month.
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
- May is Jewish American Heritage Month.
- May is Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month.
- May is Haitian Heritage Month.
- May is Older Americans Month.
- May is Food Allergy Awareness Month.
- May 1 is Eid al-Fitr.
- May 1 is School Principals Day.
- May 1 is May Day.
- May 1-7 is Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week.
- May 1-7 is Be Kind to Animals Week.
- May 2-6 is Teacher Appreciation Week.
- May 2-8 is Screen-Free Week.
- May 2-8 is Children’s Book Week.
- May 4 is Bike to School Day.
- May 4 is Star Wars Day.
- May 5 is Cinco de Mayo.
- May 6 is School Lunch Hero Day.
- May 8 is Mother’s Day.
- May 11 is School Nurse Day.
- May 13 is School Communicators Day.
- May 15 is International Day of Families.
- May 18 is National Speech Pathologist Day.
- May 20 is International Human Resources Day.
- May 21 is World Day for Cultural Diversity.
- May 21 is Armed Forces Day.
- May 27 is Student-Athlete Health Awareness Day.
- May 30 is Memorial Day.
Plant sale returns in 2022 #
Student-grown vegetables, herbs, annuals, perennials and native plants will be available at the Chesterfield Career and Technical Center’s plant sale, which is returning in 2022 after being disrupted in recent years by COVID-19. Members of the public are welcome at the plant sale 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 30 at the Career and Technical Center at Courthouse, 10101 Courthouse Road.
Chesterfield County students studying urban agriculture and plant and soil sciences will sell more than 250 varieties of plants they have grown using only certified organic amendments. Other student-created items for sale will include herbal tea blends, flower arrangements and hand-painted pots. Culinary arts students will sell muffins, coffee and agua fresca. Cash, checks and credit cards will be accepted, with proceeds supporting Chesterfield Career and Technical Center programs. Questions? Call 804-768-6160, ext. 1037.
Summer school registration is open #
Fill in learning gaps. Strengthen skills. Get ahead. Whatever your motivation, summer school can help make summer count! Summer school registration is open with opportunities for prekindergarten through high school. Details and registration links are available at bit.ly/CCPSsummer. Most summer opportunities are free. Make your move today: April 29 is the CCPSOnline deadline. June 1 is the deadline to register for most PK-8 summer opportunities and for non-graded courses through CCPSOnline.