Holiday message from the superintendent #
Happy holidays to all of our families! Please watch the superintendent’s holiday video, then have a wonderful winter break.
Here is the winter break schedule for schools that follow the traditional calendar:
- Dec. 20-31: winter break
- Jan. 3: schools reopen after winter break
Here is the winter break schedule for year-round schools Bellwood and Falling Creek elementaries:
- Dec. 17: student holiday/teacher workday
- Dec. 20-31: winter break
- Jan. 3-7: intersession break (academic/enrichment programming)
This newsletter will not be published Dec. 24 or Dec. 31, but you can continue to stay in the know by following Chesterfield County Public Schools on social media:
Family fun: Cuddle up with seasonal book videos #
We have a digital present for your winter break: seasonal books on video just for Chesterfield County families! You’re invited to enjoy the six books on our virtual bookshelf. Also, when you’re shopping for gifts, consider giving a book. It’s a present you open again and again!
Supporting mental health #
The holiday season is a time for fellowship and celebration but can present stressful challenges. For youth and teens who struggle with their mental health, these stressors can be overwhelming. The central Virginia chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness offers a free online presentation to empower young people and families to discuss mental health needs:
It’s easy to get free COVID-19 test kits #
Do your holiday plans include gathering with family or friends outside of your household? Will you be traveling or welcoming home college students? Now’s a great time to plan for how your gatherings can take place safely. Chesterfield County Public Library and the Virginia Department of Health are partnering to provide free at-home COVID-19 rapid tests to residents. The process to get test kits is simple:
- Drive to your closest library and call the number posted in front of the building.
- Tell staff you need a rapid test kit.
- Wait in your vehicle and staff will place your items on a table in a designated area. Visit library.chesterfield.gov/rapidtest for more information.
Visit any Chesterfield County Public Library location to request a test before your celebrations, after your celebrations or both. Questions? Call 804-751-CCPL (2275).
COVID-19 notes for winter break #
COVID-19 cases during break
If a student or staff member is quarantined due to illness or exposure during winter break, the CCPS Quarantine Helpline (804-639-6740) will be available at select times to offer guidance on when they may return to school/school-based activities.
Note: When calling the helpline, the caller will be prompted to leave a message, and someone will return the call during helpline hours in the order in which it is received. Calls will be returned on Saturday, Dec. 18, Sunday Dec. 19, Thursday, Dec. 30 and Sunday, Jan. 2.
- Any cases connected to school-based activities that are reported to schools during the break will continue to be posted in the case list
- Seven-day statistics will be paused during winter break, resuming on Monday, Jan. 10
- Quarantine information is only shared for days that school is in session
If you are planning international travel during the holiday season, please note the following:
- Fully vaccinated students do not need to quarantine unless they develop symptoms
- Unvaccinated students and those who are not fully vaccinated must quarantine for a full 10 days after international travel.
- Students may take a COVID-19 test 3-5 days after returning from travel. If the result is negative the student may return to school on the eighth day.
- Without a COVID-19 test, the student may return on the eleventh day if no symptoms are present.
Per guidance from the Chesterfield County Employee Medical Center:
- Fully vaccinated staff do not need to quarantine unless they develop symptoms.
- Unvaccinated staff and those who are not fully vaccinated must quarantine for 10 full days after international travel.
The Chesterfield Health District/Virginia Department of Health offers vaccine clinics. Locations and times may be found on their website.
Vaccines and booster shots are also available through primary care physicians and local pharmacies. Vaccines are free of charge at all locations.
School Board advisory committees #
Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way community members connect with their local schools. Click the application button at bit.ly/BdCom to apply by Jan. 2 if you are eligible and interested in any of these openings:
- Clover Hill District seat on Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2023)
- Midlothian District seat on Gifted Education Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2023)
- Midlothian District seat on School Health Advisory Board (partial term ending June 30, 2023)
- Matoaca District seat on Special Education Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2024)
Under Virginia’s open government requirements, meetings are generally required to be held in person. If you are unable to meet in person, please note that in your application under “availability for meeting attendance.” View upcoming meeting dates for each committee here.
Jan. 29 critical needs teacher job fair #
The first teacher recruitment event for 2022 will take place 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Jan. 29 as Chesterfield County Public Schools seeks teachers in these critical needs subjects: special education, math, science, ESL, world languages and school librarians. Candidates are asked to register here to reserve a spot or email [email protected] if they have questions. Please share this flyer if you are interested or if you know someone who may be interested in teaching Chesterfield students. Chesterfield County Public Schools is hiring for many different jobs, and every open position is posted on our website. Work where you can help young people succeed, and apply today to join Team Chesterfield.
STEAM-H essay contest #
The Virginia Council on Women will award scholarships to qualifying high school seniors who plan to pursue a STEAM-H career at a community college, four-year college or university, trade or technical school, online or through certificated STEAM-H oriented courses. Applications, eligibility requirements and guidelines are available online. Entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Jan. 3.
Children’s Museum offers scholarships to cover cost of membership #
The Children’s Museum is offering scholarships to cover annual memberships for 345 Chesterfield County families whose household income is less than $35,000 per year. Details are on the application form, which is provided in English and in Spanish. Questions? Contact Candace Ross at [email protected].