Update about bus drivers #
- Since school began, 149 school bus drivers have been added to the road, and many more are in various stages of the hiring process.
- Last week, 16 drivers completed training and were assigned to routes.
- Up to 24 drivers can possibly be assigned to routes this week based on CDL test scheduling and results.
Feb. 17 is deadline for seat on advisory committee #
Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way community members connect with their local schools. Advisory committee members who are appointed by the School Board must reside in the district they represent. Click the application button at bit.ly/BdCom to apply by Feb. 17 if you are interested in a Midlothian District seat on the Citizens Budget Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2023).
Food security is the topic of student essay contest #
The Virginia School Boards Association is holding a personal essay/speaking contest where the finalists will have an opportunity to present before an audience of more than 300 school board members and administrators, and the top three finalists will receive $1,000 scholarships. Food security is the essay topic. All Virginia public high school students can enter; May 6 is the deadline. Click here for complete guidelines. Click here for the entry form.
Coffee + Conversation #
Parents and caregivers are invited for weekly Coffee + Conversation, free virtual sessions offering helpful information. ADHD is the topic for Feb. 9. Click here to register for the 1-2 p.m. sessions that most interest you. Coffee + Conversation is hosted by Chesterfield County Public Schools Family and Community Engagement Office and Chesterfield County Prevention Services.
A word about adult education #
Did you know that Chesterfield County Public Schools offers adult education in four broad categories?
- Workforce training helps prepare residents for jobs in medical services, personal services and trades. Workforce training classes fill quickly, with registration on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Enrichment classes cover technology, world languages, crafts, home improvement and special interests. Classes this spring include cryptocurrency and seven new cooking classes.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages classes are offered both day and evening.
- GED® classes and tests help people achieve the equivalent of a high school diploma.
For details about spring classes, check out the online version of the program guide or pick up a printed version in Chesterfield County libraries. Questions? Call 804-768-6140.
Interested in switching careers? #
EducateVa, the Virginia Community College Career Switcher program, invites you to an in-person information session to learn more about an 18-week pathway to teacher licensure. Click here to register for the 6-7:30 p.m. Feb. 16 session at John Tyler Community College.
EducateVA offers a combination of online and weekend classes to those wishing to become middle or high school teachers. The program is approved by the Virginia Department of Education and trains teachers across the state, who go on to be hired to fill teaching positions in public school divisions and private accredited schools. Share this flyer with people who might be interested.
Feb. 5 open house #
See what the Chesterfield Career and Technical Center has to offer! Students of all ages and their families are invited to open house 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 5 at both campuses:
- Career and Technical Center at Hull (113900 Hull Street Road)
- Career and Technical Center at Courthouse (10101 Courthouse Road)
CCPSOnline registration opens Feb. 1 for 2022-23 school year and summer #
CCPSOnline offers a comprehensive catalog of high school credit classes taught by Chesterfield County Public Schools teachers. Students can take one, two or all of their classes in a no-walls, no-bells, no-limits virtual environment. Part-time students take courses to free space in their schedule, access those not offered at their school or get ahead of graduation requirements. Full-time students leverage the flexibility of online learning to meet the unique needs of their lifestyle. Students should talk to their school counselor about including CCPSOnline in their schedule. Registration runs Feb. 1-April 29 for the 2022-23 school year and for summer 2022.
We are hiring #
Work where you can help young people succeed, and apply today to join Team Chesterfield. Chesterfield County Public Schools is hiring for many different jobs, and every open position is posted on our website.
- Elementary teachers: This job fair is exclusively for you! Chesterfield County Public Schools invites teachers of grades K-5 to register for this Feb. 26 in-person recruitment at https://bit.ly/teachatCCPS. Questions? Email [email protected].
- Custodians get a $1,500 bonus, competitive compensation and full-time benefits. Click here to see the full package, then apply at this link or email [email protected] if you have questions. Please share this flyer if you know someone who would be interested.
COVID-19 testing #
- You can order free in-home COVID-19 test kits from the U.S. Postal Service. There is a limit of one order per residential address; one order includes four individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests. Fill in this form to order your tests.
- To find an in-person testing location, go to the Chesterfield County COVID-19 response website.
Upcoming dates #
- February is Black History Month.
- February is Career and Technical Education Month.
- February is VSBA School Board Appreciation Month.
- Feb. 7-11 is National School Counseling Week.
- Feb. 9 is Crossing Guard Appreciation Day.
- Feb. 11 is International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- Feb. 13-19 is Virginia Kindness Week.
- Feb. 14 is Valentine’s Day.
- Feb. 14-18 is VSBA School Board Clerk Appreciation Week.
- Feb. 14-20 is Random Acts of Kindness Week.
- Feb. 20 is World Day of Social Justice.
- Feb. 21 is Presidents Day.
- Feb. 21 is International Mother Language Day.
- Feb. 21-25 is Public Schools Week.
- Feb. 22 is Digital Learning Day.
- Feb. 22 is School Bus Driver Appreciation Day.