COVID-19 updates and reminders #
The Chesterfield County School board met on Tuesday, Jan. 25. During this meeting, the board voted 3-2 to approve a motion “to amend its existing COVID-19 Mitigation Plan to include providing parental choice for face masks, and implementing the new Interim Guidance for COVID-19 prevention in Virginia PreK-12 schools as set forth by the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Department of Health on Jan. 21, 2022. This change will be effective, Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022.”
If families or staff have questions about what happens when they are impacted by a positive COVID-19 case — because they test positive for COVID-19 or are identified as a close contact — the COVID-19 Guidance page has the following resources:
Please see the following from Gov. Youngkin’s Executive Order #2:
- The parents of any child enrolled in an elementary or secondary school or a school based early childcare and educational program may elect for their children not to be subject to any mask mandate in effect at the child’s school or educational program.
- No parent electing that a mask mandate should not apply to his or her child shall be required to provide a reason or make any certification concerning their child’s health or education.
- A child whose parent has elected that he or she is not subject to a mask mandate should not be required to wear a mask under any policy implemented by a teacher, school, school district, the Department of Education, or any other state authority.
Saturday VDH vaccine clinic at Midlothian HS postponed; Clover Hill clinic still scheduled #
We have been notified that the VDH vaccine clinic planned for tomorrow at Midlothian High School has been canceled. The clinic will be rescheduled and we will share that information as soon as it is available. VDH will send direct notifications about the cancellation to those who have registered.
The vaccine clinic scheduled tomorrow at Clover Hill High School will go on as planned. Here are the details. Click the link below to register.
- Clover Hill High School: Saturday, Jan. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Proposed budget prioritizes staff, student needs and infrastructure #
Superintendent Merv Daugherty presented his FY 2023 budget proposal to the School Board on Jan. 25. Click here for details about the plan that prioritizes staff, student needs and infrastructure. Multiple town halls are scheduled for sharing information and hearing from the community; click here for the budget calendar.
Feb. 5 open house #
See what the Chesterfield Career and Technical Center has to offer! Students of all ages and their families are invited to open house 9 a.m.-noon Feb. 5 at both campuses:
- Career and Technical Center at Hull (113900 Hull Street Road)
- Career and Technical Center at Courthouse (10101 Courthouse Road)
Coffee + Conversation #
Parents and caregivers are invited for weekly Coffee + Conversation, free virtual sessions offering helpful information. The Feb. 2 topic is developmental milestones and supporting growth at home. Click here to register for the 1-2 p.m. sessions that most interest you. Coffee + Conversation is hosted by Chesterfield County Public Schools Family and Community Engagement Office and Chesterfield County Prevention Services.
CCPSOnline registration opens Feb. 1 for 2022-23 school year and summer #
CCPSOnline offers a comprehensive catalog of high school credit classes taught by Chesterfield County Public Schools teachers. Students can take one, two or all of their classes in a no-walls, no-bells, no-limits virtual environment. Part-time students take courses to free space in their schedule, access those not offered at their school or get ahead of graduation requirements. Full-time students leverage the flexibility of online learning to meet the unique needs of their lifestyle. Students should talk to their school counselor about including CCPSOnline in their schedule. Registration runs Feb. 1-April 29 for the 2022-23 school year and for summer 2022.
Thank a Teacher art contest wraps up Jan. 31 #
The Virginia Lottery and Virginia PTA invite K-12 students to share their talent in the fifth annual Thank a Teacher art contest by Jan. 31. Winning designs (one each from elementary, middle and high school) will be featured on thousands of thank-you notes delivered to teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week. Click here for contest details. Click here to see earlier winning artwork.
Upcoming dates #
- February is Black History Month.
- February is Career and Technical Education Month.
- February is VSBA School Board Appreciation Month.
- Feb. 1 is Lunar New Year.
- Feb. 1 is National Freedom Day.
- Feb. 2 is Groundhog Day.
- Feb. 7-11 is National School Counseling Week.
- Feb. 9 is Crossing Guard Appreciation Day.
- Feb. 11 is International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- Feb. 13-19 is Virginia Kindness Week.
- Feb. 14 is Valentine’s Day.
- Feb. 14-18 is VSBA School Board Clerk Appreciation Week.
- Feb. 14-20 is Random Acts of Kindness Week.
- Feb. 20 is World Day of Social Justice.
- Feb. 21 is Presidents Day.
- Feb. 21 is International Mother Language Day.
- Feb. 21-25 is Public Schools Week.
- Feb. 22 is Digital Learning Day.
- Feb. 22 is School Bus Driver Appreciation Day.
Thank an outstanding teacher #
Nominate outstanding Chesterfield County teachers for R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence! The program is accepting nominations through 5 p.m. Feb. 22. About 15 outstanding central Virginia teachers are selected each year to receive amazing grants up to $15,000 to support professional development. Award winners have earned graduate degrees, climbed mountains, traced their ancestors and met peers from around the world — all to reignite their own passion for learning and to pass it on to their students. Eligibility requirements, deadlines and instructions can be found at www.cfrichmond.org/reb.
We are hiring #
Work where you can help young people succeed, and apply today to join Team Chesterfield. Chesterfield County Public Schools is hiring for many different jobs, and every open position is posted on our website.
- Elementary teachers: This job fair is exclusively for you! Chesterfield County Public Schools invites teachers of grades K-5 to register for this Feb. 26 in-person recruitment at https://bit.ly/teachatCCPS. Questions? Email [email protected].
- Custodians get a $1,500 bonus, competitive compensation and full-time benefits. Click here to see the full package, then apply at this link or email [email protected] if you have questions. Please share this flyer if you know someone who would be interested.
COVID-19 testing #
- You can order free in-home COVID-19 test kits from the U.S. Postal Service. There is a limit of one order per residential address; one order includes four individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests. Orders will ship free starting in late January. Fill in this form to order your tests.
- To find an in-person testing location, go to the Chesterfield County COVID-19 response website.