National recognition for CCPS #
Two Chesterfield County Public Schools initiatives won awards from the National Association of Counties. These national awards recognize the ways that local governments are providing better, more innovative services to their residents and strengthening communities across the country. Here are the 2022 award winners from Chesterfield County schools:
- Connecting All Community Residents to Public Schools, which details how the school system reaches out to all county residents, not just families with school-age children.
- Providing an Opportunity to the Youngest in the Community to Become Future Scholars, which focuses on the Chester Early Childhood Learning Academy.
Creative arts for teens #
Teens can learn how and why creative arts are used to promote mental health and well-being during Guided Imagery and the Creative Arts. Connect with your thoughts and feelings by using music, art and imagery during this 6:30 p.m. June 21 program at the Bon Air Library. No musical experience necessary. Register at bit.ly/3wNlLcQ.
Keeping Chromebooks over the summer #
For the first time ever, students will take their Chromebooks home for the summer. Please remember that the Chromebook is a school device and should be treated with care — do not leave it unattended, in a hot car or exposed to direct sunlight. Please do not take the Chromebook outside of the country. If your student would like to engage in learning activities, check the Chromebook support section of their school’s website for available school applications and helpful tips.
School physicals and immunizations #
Act now to take advantage of opportunities to prepare for the next school year:
Juneteenth events #
Juneteenth is June 19, a celebration of the day that enslaved people in Texas first learned about the Emancipation Proclamation, two and a half years after it was signed. Chesterfield County is offering a variety of programs and events in the week leading up to Juneteenth, starting with a family-friendly Juneteenth Jubilee on June 11 at Meadowdale Library.
How will your student get to school in 2022-23? #
Transportation planning is underway for the 2022-23 school year. All families are asked to update student transportation information for the coming year as early as possible, even if your student will attend school virtually. Please log into ParentVUE and check your home address and any alternative addresses, if applicable. If this information is expected to change between now and the beginning of the 2022-23 school year, you may wait until the change occurs to enter the information.
Upcoming dates #
- June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month.
- June is Caribbean American Heritage Month.
- June is Great Outdoors Month.
- June 11 is Family Health and Fitness Day.
- June 12 is International Children’s Day.
- June 14 is Flag Day.
- June 15 is Magna Carta Day.
- June 19 is Juneteenth.
- June 19 is Father’s Day.
- June 20 is World Refugee Day.
- June 21 is the summer solstice.
- July 4 is the Fourth of July.
- July 12 is World Malala Day.
- July 14 is Bastille Day.
- July 24 is Parents’ Day.
- August is National Immunization Awareness Month.
- August is Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month.
- Aug. 9 is National Book Lovers Day.
- Aug. 13 is International Lefthanders Day.
- Aug. 26 is Women’s Equality Day.