Teacher Appreciation Week #
- This is the last day of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6), but it is A-OK to keep letting teachers know they are appreciated!
- We announced our top Teachers of the Year this week.
- Check the school system’s social media to see happy videos we posted throughout the week: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Today is School Lunch Hero Day #
Let’s thank our Food and Nutrition Services team on May 6, which is School Lunch Hero Day. If you miss today’s opportunity, then please let them know you appreciate them on another day.
Prevención del suicidio para padres (suicide prevention program for Spanish-speaking parents) #
Necesita registrarse con anticipación: https://afspva.info/mts5-9sp. Registrese para la siguiente sesión: 9 de mayo 7:00 p.m. a 8:30 p.m. Si necesita ayuda para registrarse por favor llame al: 804-706-6075.
“Resilience” is vital for all of us #
You’re invited to a viewing of the documentary “Resilience: the Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope,” plus a panel discussion and on-site resources for stressed families. The discussion will feature Keith Cartwright, Adverse Childhood Experiences coordinator for the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, and Dr. Connie Honsinger, trauma education specialist for Chesterfield County Public Schools.
Register now at https://rebrand.ly/SupportingResilience for this free opportunity, which starts at 6:30 p.m. May 9 at the Career and Technical Center @ Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road. CCPS teachers who attend will receive 2 recertification points.
“Resilience” explores the correlation between toxic stress and trauma experienced in childhood and the psychological and physical impacts in adulthood. The Adverse Childhood Experience study is explained, and the panel discussion will include information on work within Chesterfield County Public Schools.
CCPSOnline fees and extended deadline for 2022-23 #
Within Chesterfield County Public Schools, fees can be waived or reduced for students with economic hardships. This includes CCPSOnline, which offers high school classes online. To provide all families equitable access to CCPSOnline classes, the registration deadline for classes for the 2022-23 school year has been extended to 5 p.m. May 16. Click here for the CCPSOnline fee schedule for 2022-23. The fee for a resident student seeking one additional course through CCPSOnline can be reduced based on federal meal qualification:
- A student who qualifies for free meals can request a 100% fee reduction (and pay no fee).
- A student who qualifies for reduced-price meals can request an 80% fee reduction (and pay 20% of the fee).
Wi-Fi hot spots available for checkout #
The Chesterfield County Public Library has Wi-Fi hotspots available for checkout. Hotspots provide internet access when you don’t have a connection at home. They are a great option for remote workers and students and can provide access on the road, in the home or almost anywhere you need a Wi-Fi connection. Click here for more information or review these flyers in English and in Spanish.
Upcoming dates #
- May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- May is Better Hearing and Speech Month.
- May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
- May is Jewish American Heritage Month.
- May is Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month.
- May is Haitian Heritage Month.
- May is Older Americans Month.
- May is Food Allergy Awareness Month.
- May 1-7 is Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week.
- May 1-7 is Be Kind to Animals Week.
- May 2-6 is Teacher Appreciation Week.
- May 2-8 is Screen-Free Week.
- May 2-8 is Children’s Book Week.
- May 6 is School Lunch Hero Day.
- May 8 is Mother’s Day.
- May 11 is School Nurse Day.
- May 13 is School Communicators Day.
- May 15 is International Day of Families.
- May 18 is National Speech Pathologist Day.
- May 20 is International Human Resources Day.
- May 21 is World Day for Cultural Diversity.
- May 21 is Armed Forces Day.
- May 27 is Student-Athlete Health Awareness Day.
- May 30 is Memorial Day.
Summer school registration is open #
Fill in learning gaps. Strengthen skills. Get ahead. Whatever your motivation, summer school can help make summer count! Summer school registration is open with opportunities for prekindergarten through high school. Details and registration links are available at bit.ly/CCPSsummer. Most summer opportunities are free. Make your move today: April 29 is the CCPSOnline deadline. June 1 is the deadline to register for most PK-8 summer opportunities and for non-graded courses through CCPSOnline.