Get to know CCPS on the Go! #
Something new is coming to Chesterfield County mailboxes: the first edition of CCPS on the Go! This printed newsletter is packed with news from Chesterfield County Public Schools.
Here’s the reason behind CCPS on the Go: Chesterfield County Public Schools is growing (62,000+ students at last count) and is an award-winning school system known throughout Virginia and the nation for having high standards and doing what is right for children. But about 65% of Chesterfield County households do not have children 18 or younger. Even though a majority of the community is not connected on a daily basis to Chesterfield County Public Schools, we want all residents to be proud of Chesterfield schools. A strong public education system benefits everyone in Chesterfield County.
In addition to the printed newsletter, digital versions of CCPS on the Go are available in English and in Spanish. With two more editions planned for this school year, this publication is initially funded through federal relief funds to improve reach of communication throughout the school district. If you have questions or comments, please email [email protected]. Chesterfield County Public Schools would love to hear from you!
COVID-19 vaccine for children #
The COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 is available at the Chesterfield Health District’s Community Vaccination Center. The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine will be offered for children ages 5 to 11 at the Chesterfield Health District’s Community Vaccination Center located in the Rockwood Shopping Center at 10161 Hull Street Road in Midlothian.
The Community Vaccination Center is open 10 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Parents who wish to get their children vaccinated should make an appointment at vaccinate.virginia.gov or call 877-VAX-IN-VA (877-829-4682). Advanced registration is encouraged. Those with an appointment should arrive no earlier than 20 minutes before the appointment time. A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under 18.
The experience of getting a COVID-19 vaccine will be similar to the experience of getting routine vaccines. Parents can check out these tips on talking to their children about what to expect. For more about vaccinating children and teens, parents can visit the CDC website.
The Community Vaccination Center also offers first, second, additional primary doses and booster shots at no cost to the public. The Moderna vaccine and the single-dose Johnson & Johnson are available for anyone 18 and older. The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is available for anyone 5 and older. A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under 18. Walk-in appointments are available for primary series (age 12 and up) and booster doses only.
Dec. 1 is deadline for openings on School Board advisory committees #
Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way community members connect with their local schools. Click the application button at bit.ly/BdCom to apply by Dec. 1 if you are eligible and interested in either of these two openings:
- Midlothian District seat on Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2022)
- Matoaca District seat on Gifted Education Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2023)
Under Virginia’s open government requirements, meetings are generally required to be held in person. If you are unable to meet in person, please note that in your application under “availability for meeting attendance.” For more information about specific committees or to apply, go to bit.ly/BdCom. To view upcoming meeting dates for each committee, go to https://tinyurl.com/FY22AdvisoryCommitteeSchedule.
Eighth-graders and options for high school #
In addition to the broad spectrum of programs in each comprehensive high school, Chesterfield County Public Schools offers high school students the opportunity to participate in academic programs related to special interests. Click here for all of the details eighth-grade families need when deciding whether or not to apply to a specialty center, to a governor’s school or to a regional technology school. Open houses are underway:
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 8: Information Technology Specialty Center at Matoaca High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 9: Specialty Center for the Arts at Thomas Dale High
- 6:30-9 p.m. Nov. 10: Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 11: Mass Communications Specialty Center at Manchester High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 15: Leadership and International Relations Specialty Center at James River High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: Meadowbrook Academy for Developing Entrepreneurs at Meadowbrook High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: International Baccalaureate Program at Meadowbrook High (for students zoned for Bird, Manchester, Matoaca, Meadowbrook and Thomas Dale high schools)
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 16: International Baccalaureate Program at Midlothian High (for students zoned for Clover Hill, Cosby, Midlothian, Monacan and James River high schools)
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 17: Spanish Immersion Specialty Center at Manchester High
- 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 18: Governor’s Academy for Engineering Studies at Bird High
- 6-7 p.m. Dec. 14: CodeRVA (will also be available via Zoom)
Open houses took place earlier for the Humanities Specialty Center, Health Professions and Therapies Specialty Center, Mathematics and Science High School, Health Science Specialty Center and Appomattox Regional Governor’s School.
Work where you can help children succeed #
Try us: You’ll like us! Chesterfield County Public Schools is hiring, and every open position is posted on our website. Work where you can help young people succeed, and apply today to join Team Chesterfield. Here are two upcoming hiring events:
- Substitute teacher job fair: We have increased pay for substitute teachers to $101.50 per day (short-term) and $203 per day (long-term jobs, high-demand days and Fridays). Learn more during a job fair 3-6 p.m. Nov. 10 at Midlothian Middle (13501 Midlothian Turnpike). Get details and register here for the substitute teacher job fair.
- Custodian job fair: Make a difference in Chesterfield County schools as a day porter custodian. Learn more during a job fair 3-7 p.m. Nov. 9 at Meadowdale Library (4301 Meadowdale Blvd.). Get details and register here for the job fair.
- November is College and Career Readiness Month.
- November is Family Engagement Month.
- November is Military Family Appreciation Month.
- November is Native American Heritage Month.
- November is VSBA Take Your Legislator to School Month.
- November is National Adoption Month.
- Nov. 1-5 is Solidarity Week.
- Nov. 7 is the end of daylight saving time.
- Nov. 8-12 is National School Psychology Week.
- Nov. 8-14 is Children’s Book Week.
- Nov. 11 is Veterans Day.
- Nov. 13 is World Kindness Day.
- Nov. 13-19 is Transgender Awareness Week.
- Nov. 14-20 is International Fraud Awareness Week.
- Nov. 15-19 is American Education Week. (Nov. 15 is Kickoff Day; Nov. 16 is Parents Day; Nov. 17 is Education Support Professionals Day; Nov. 18 is Educator for a Day; Nov. 19 is Substitute Educators Day.)
- Nov. 15-19 is Geography Awareness Week.
- Nov. 19 is International Men’s Day.
- Nov. 20 is World Children’s Day.
- Nov. 25 is Thanksgiving.
- Nov. 28-Dec. 6 is Hanukkah.