Career and Technical Center applications are open #
Students may apply through Dec. 2 to attend Chesterfield Career and Technical Center for the 2023-24 school year. Learn more about the application process at oneccps.org/ctc/apply/. Open house events will be held on Saturday, Nov. 12, for students and families to learn more about programs at both CTC campuses:
- ESL information session: Courthouse campus (10101 Courthouse Road) 10 a.m.
- Courthouse campus open house (10101 Courthouse Road): 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Hull Street campus open house (13900 Hull Street Road): noon-2 p.m.
Pink Flamingo coat drive is happening now #
The Chesterfield Education Foundation, in partnership with Chesterfield County Public Schools, is sponsoring Pink Flamingo Week through Oct. 26 to make sure every Chesterfield student who needs a coat can get one. Here are the places and hours for dropping off coats for local children:
- Clover Hill High (13301 Kelly Green Drive, Midlothian, VA 23112): 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. weekdays through Oct. 26
- Chester Presbyterian Church (3424 W. Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23831): 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Thursday through Oct. 26
- Woody Funeral Home – Huguenot Chapel (1020 Huguenot Road, Midlothian VA 23113): 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday through Oct. 26
- Resale Addict (409 E. Ellerslie Ave., Colonial Heights, VA 23834): 9 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays through Oct. 26
- The Grille at Magnolia Green Golf Club (7001 Awesome Drive, Moseley, VA 23120): 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through Oct. 26
You can also support this effort by donating online to the Chesterfield Education Foundation. For each $25, a warm coat will be purchased for a Chesterfield County child.
Open houses showcase high school specialty centers and regional schools #
During eighth grade, students decide whether or not to apply to a specialty center within Chesterfield County Public Schools, to a governor’s school or to a regional technology school. Here’s how students and parents can learn more:
- Review information at bit.ly/CCPSoptions, including this video: youtu.be/ZJyBavpvqag.
- Attend one or more open houses at specialty centers and regional schools, which are listed below and are also listed at bit.ly/CCPSoptions.
Here is the 2022-23 timeline for eighth graders who want to apply to a specialty center or regional school:
- At ccpsopportunities.com, the applications for specialty centers and governor’s schools are available starting Oct. 14 and the application for CodeRVA is available starting Jan. 2.
- Deadline to apply for specialty centers and governor’s schools is 11:59 p.m. Dec. 2, and deadline to apply for CodeRVA is 11:59 p.m. Feb. 17.
- In March, students will find out if they have been accepted.
Free test prep for the SAT, SOLs and W!SE tests begins this month #
- SOL (reading and writing) and W!se academies begin Oct. 24 Registration is open for SOL and W!SE academies that will run Oct. 24-27. These test prep sessions are free for any student who passed a class but did not pass the corresponding SOL end-of-course test or the W!SE test. Academies will be held in person at Clover Hill High School. Students meet 3:40-5:40 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Information and links to register may be found here.
- SAT Academy begins Oct. 31 An SAT academy session will run Oct. 31-Nov. 3 at Clover Hill High School. Classes meet 3:40-5:40 p.m. daily. Transportation is provided to take students to Clover Hill High and return them to their home high school. Click here to register. There is no fee for the academy, but it is necessary to purchase a book for the course. This can be done through Online School Payments.
Oct. 31 is deadline for openings on advisory committees #
Advisory committees established by the Chesterfield County School Board are one way community members connect with their local schools. Advisory committee members are appointed from each of the county’s five magisterial districts and include parents, teachers, staff members, students and others interested in helping Chesterfield County Public Schools achieve its vision of creating a better tomorrow. Advisory committee members who are appointed by the School Board must reside in the district they represent; community representatives on the Gifted Education Advisory Committee are appointed by the superintendent and can reside in any magisterial district.
Click the application button at bit.ly/BdCom to apply by Oct. 31 if you are eligible and interested in these openings:
- Bermuda District seat on Citizens Budget Advisory Committee (partial term ending June 30, 2024)
- Bermuda District seat on School Health Advisory Board (partial term ending June 30, 2023)
- Midlothian District seat on School Health Advisory Board (partial term ending June 30, 2024)
Under Virginia’s open government requirements, meetings are generally required to be held in person. If you are unable to meet in person, please note that in your application under “availability for meeting attendance.” For more information about specific committees or to apply, go to bit.ly/BdCom.
County will host a medication take-back event #
The Chesterfield County Police Department will host a medication take-back on Saturday, Oct. 29 from 10 a.m.
to 2 p.m. at the Hancock Village Shopping Center (14701 Hancock Village Street). Police officers and volunteers will collect unused or expired prescription, over-the-counter and veterinary medications. Residents should leave medications in their original containers if possible. Needles and syringes will not be accepted.
Free UVA football tickets available for CCPS staff and students #
UVA is offering free tickets to CCPS staff and students for their home game against Pittsburgh on Saturday, Nov. 12 (time is TBD). Tickets are limited to two per household and will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis for the first 2,000 fans. After 2,000 offers are claimed, or if more than 2 tickets are needed, CCPS guests will be able to purchase tickets at a discounted rate of $10 per ticket. Click here for tickets. (If you have trouble opening the link, try a different browser). After clicking the link, follow these steps:
- Click “Find Tickets”
- Select your quantity of comp tickets (2 ticket Max).
- Add to cart and follow prompts
- Tickets will be sent electronically
If there are problems accessing the special offer, contact the UVA Athletics ticket office during normal business hours at 434-924-UVA1.
Embracing college and career readiness #
November is College and Career Readiness Month, but November just isn’t big enough for all the activities in Chesterfield County Public Schools so October also holds opportunities for college and career exploration. Exploring potential paths to college and career is part of goal 1 of the school system’s strategic plan: All students and staff will embody an infinite learner mindset. Woven throughout each school year are experiences and opportunities to help students explore paths to their future. Here are some upcoming opportunities.
Calendar info #
- Chesterfield schools that follow the traditional calendar will dismiss students three hours early on Oct. 28.
- All Chesterfield students will be out of school Nov. 7-8. Nov. 7 is parent-teacher conference day, and Nov. 8 is a holiday.
- All Chesterfield schools and school offices will be closed for Thanksgiving Nov. 23-25.
- Download complete calendars at bit.ly/CCPScals.
Gifted education referrals #
Chesterfield County Public Schools conducts an annual referral process to identify gifted students, and Oct. 26 is the deadline to refer students currently in grades 2-12. Students are evaluated during the current school year for services that will formally begin in the 2023-2024 school year. The gifted education overview offers more information.
- Parents, teachers, community members, and students can refer a student for gifted evaluation by filling out this online form.
- March 1 is the deadline to refer students currently in grades K-1 within Chesterfield County Public Schools.
- A fall assessment opportunity is available for students in grades 2-12 who are not enrolled in Chesterfield County Public Schools but who live in Chesterfield County. This referral deadline is Oct. 26.
Details about how Chesterfield County Public Schools identifies, serves and supports gifted learners are available here.