School Counseling

The mission of the Chesterfield County Public Schools Office of School Counseling is to provide high quality academic support and career services for all students through the collaborative efforts of students, staff, parents, and community. Each student is assigned a counselor as listed in our “Meet the Counselors” section on the left.

Office of School Counseling programs, activities, and services are offered to support students in achieving academic success. Counselors assist teachers and school administrators in the identification of students’ academic needs and help determine strategies to maximize learning.

Summer Taylor
Phone ext. 4110

Stacey Davis
Records Secretary
Phone ext. 4143


Elvira Barron-Rojas

Student Caseload: Fli – Hil and ESL A – L
Phone ext. 4136

Amy Cook

Student Caseload: Him – Mil
Phone ext. 4139

Mary Goslee

Student Caseload: A – Cov
Phone ext. 4140

Nate Mackey

Student Caseload: Shec – Z
Phone ext. 4137

Michele Marci-Bennett

Student Caseload: Mim – Sheb
Phone ext. 4141

Julie O'Bryant

Student Caseload: Leadership and ESL M – Z
Phone ext. 4146

Laurie Smith

Director of School Counseling Program & Services
Student Caseload: Cow – Fle
Phone ext. 4135

The following Office of School Counseling services are available to all middle and high school students in Chesterfield County Public Schools:

Academic counseling which assist students and their parents in acquiring knowledge of curricula choices available to students, planning a program of studies, arranging and interpreting academic testing, and seeking post secondary academic opportunities.

Career guidance which helps students acquire information and plan action about work, apprenticeships and post secondary opportunities.

Personal/social guidance and counseling which assist students in developing an understanding of themselves, resolving conflicts, and defining individual goals that
reflect their interests, abilities and aptitudes.

Please contact the James River High School Counseling Office, during the hours of 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM Monday through Friday, to set up an appointment to enroll your student. Only a parent or legal guardian may enroll a student. You may call 378-2427, ext. 4110 to make an enrollment appointment. Enrollment information is listed below and all items are needed at the time of enrollment. Enrollment packets are available in the School Counseling Office and may be picked up prior to the enrollment appointment.

Seniors, did you know…the James River Parent-Teacher-Student Organization (PTSO) awards two $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors to assist in the pursuit of college or technical degrees??

This opportunity is definitely something you will want to consider and is offered only to JRHS seniors who are members of the PTSO!

To be eligible, YOU (the senior student—not just your family) must join the PTSO by Nov 30th, 2019. Join by going to the PTSO website:

More details on how to apply for the scholarship will be coming early next year!

Below, you will find The James River Ripple, our monthly scholarship newsletter.

All transcript requests require 10 school days for processing.

Transcript Request Process for Current Seniors

Current Seniors who need to request a transcript can do so through Parchment, an organization that James River High School partners with to submit electronic transcripts. Students must submit both an Electronic Transcript Request form and an Official Transcript Request form to the School Counseling Office. The Electronic Transcript Request form only needs to be submitted once and will remain on file in the School Counseling Office. Both forms are located on this page and in the School Counseling Office
Once the Electronic Transcript Request form is signed and submitted to the School Counseling Office, students will be given a Parchment registration code. Seniors can click on the link below to begin setting up their Parchment accounts.

Transcript Request Process for students who graduated prior to 2014:

The James River High School Counseling Office is only permitted to keep student records for five years after students have graduated. Records older than five years are sent to Central Office to be put on microfilm. You must call the following number or visit the below website to request your transcript: (804) 639-8900, ext. 1651

Transcript Request Process for students who graduated between 2014 – 2018:

Students who graduated between 2014 – 2018 can request transcripts using Parchment and can click on the above link to set up an account. Alumni pay $3, plus a $3 Parchment fee.

Click here for a summary of elective course options available to 9th graders:
9th Grade Course Offerings 2020-2021

More detailed information about these courses can be found on the Elective Options 2020-21 page.