The mission of the Midlothian Middle School Counseling program, in partnership with educators, families, and community members, is to provide services which enhance all students’ academic, personal/social, and career development. School counselors empower all students to become lifelong learners and responsible, productive adults who can adapt to and thrive in a rapidly changing world.
Beliefs and Philosophy
- All students can achieve and deserve access to the most rigorous curriculum
- All students’ individual difference and special needs will be taken in consideration in planning and implementing the school counseling program
- All students have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at school and have access to school counselors throughout the school year
- All students deserve a counselor who can serve as a change agent to advocate for students’ needs and results
The Midlothian Middle School Counseling Program
- Provides a program based on ASCA National Standards and Virginia State Standards
- Provides a program planned by the counseling department and stakeholders
- Combines community resources for program delivery
- Uses data to drive program development, evaluation, and impact
- Participates in professional development as well as follow ethical standards
Each student is assigned a school counselor to aid them in their transition from elementary school as well as choosing courses and applying to Specialty Centers for High School. Counselors at Midlothian Middle are assigned by grade level/program.