Chesterfield County Public Schools will begin in-person kindergarten registration for the Class of 2033 at students’ home schools beginning this week by appointment.
Families of incoming kindergarten students who have already preregistered online or whose child participated in a Chesterfield prekindergarten program during the 2019-20 school year will be contacted by their child’s school to set up in-person registration appointments. All other families can call their child’s school to schedule a kindergarten registration appointment or complete the online preregistration form in order to be contacted.
Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions that will help guide families through the kindergarten registration process:
Why should I preregister my child online for kindergarten?
- It will reduce the amount of time it takes to complete your in-person kindergarten registration.
Where can I preregister my child online for kindergarten?
- Visit bit.ly/CCPS-K-registration2020 to preregister your child.
- Families with a child currently enrolled in a Chesterfield County Public Schools prekindergarten program do not need to complete the online preregistration
I’m a parent who’s new to CCPS, and I don’t have a username and password to sign in and preregister my child online. How do I get a username and password?
- Visit bit.ly/CCPS-K-registration2020 and watch the “Online Preregistration for Parents New to Chesterfield County Public Schools” video to learn how to create your account.
I want to preregister my child online, but I don’t have Internet access. Where can I get free Internet access?
- The school division’s technology network is available at all Chesterfield County schools and can be accessed while in a school parking
- Comcast also has informed the school division that its Xfinity hotspots are open for public use during this public health crisis. Visit here to find the location closest to you: https://wifi.xfinity.com/
Which school do I call to make a kindergarten registration appointment?
- Families are asked to call the elementary school their child is zoned to
- Go to bit.ly/CCPS-FindMySchool to find the school a student is zoned to attend or call 639- 8915 for help.
Do I have to make an appointment to complete my child’s kindergarten registration?
- No, but it is highly encouraged that families make an appointment, so they can safely adhere to the social distancing
Where can I find the phone number to my child’s school to make an appointment?
Does my child need to come with me to the kindergarten registration appointment?
- No, due to COVID-19 and social distancing regulations, Chesterfield Schools will not be administering the brief evaluation to incoming kindergarten students for the upcoming school
What do I need to bring with me to the kindergarten registration appointment?
- The child’s certified original birth certificate or a school age affidavit in accordance with state law
- Parent/guardian’s photo ID
- One of these proofs of residency to the registration:
- lease for at least one year or deed of a residence in Chesterfield County
- contract or lease free of contingencies to occupy a Chesterfield County residence within two months of the date of enrollment
- resident manager’s letter on company letterhead stating that residence is a corporate residence in Chesterfield County
- weekly receipts for temporary residence in a hotel or motel for up to 60 days (requires renewal or evidence of more permanent residency within 60 days of enrollment)
- Parents submitting a “lives with” form must bring the person they live with to registration. That person must provide a lease, deed or one of the other proofs of Chesterfield County residency, and the parent of the incoming kindergartner must provide two supporting documents showing his or her name and correct
What items are required by the first day of school?
- Medical records showing their child has had a physical examination within the past 12 months
- medical records listing the dates of each state-required immunization
What can I do to help prepare my child for kindergarten?
- Visit our Kindergarten Readiness website for helpful tips and ideas that will help you prepare your child for kindergarten: bit.ly/ccpskready
Kindergarten is a full-day program offered in every Chesterfield County elementary school. A child must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30, 2020, to attend kindergarten. We look forward to welcoming our families during their in-person appointments in the near future.