The second grade teachers at Swift Creek Elementary are geared up and ready for another superb year! Second grade is filled with learning through exploration, discovery, and fun activities.
Second graders continue to improve reading and writing skills through a variety of instructional techniques including The Daily Five, guided reading, and Six +1 Traits of Writing.
- Reading Fluency- reading at an appropriate speed with accuracy and expression
- Comprehension- main idea, details, inferencing, making predictions, fact/fiction, cause and effect, narrative elements (plot, setting, characters), author’s purpose, summarizing, resource texts (dictionary, thesaurus, glossary)
- Phonics – decoding unfamiliar words
- Vocabulary – new/unknown words, antonyms, synonyms, homonyms, and multiple meaning words
- Writing Process-prewriting, rough draft, revising, editing, publishing
- Writing Traits-Organization, Audience, Voice
- Writing Genres-narrative, informational, persuasive, response to literature
- Cursive-Forming letters,fluid writing
- Capitalization – first word of a sentence, proper nouns, abbreviations
- Punctuation – ending punctuation (periods, question marks, exclamation points), commas (in a series, between a city and state, in a friendly letter, date), periods after abbreviations, quotation marks
- Parts of Speech – nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Sentence Structure – forming complete sentences with appropriate subject/verb agreement
- Second grade engages in Word Study.