The Art program at Salem Church Elementary School is guided by the Virginia Arts Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools. The standards identify the grade specific content and skills. The content and skills support the following goals:
- Select and use art media, subject matter, and symbols for expression and communication.
- Know the elements of art and the principles of design and how they are used in the visual arts.
- Solve visual arts problems with originality, flexibility, fluency, and imagination
- Understand the relationship of the visual arts to history, culture, and other fields of knowledge
- Use materials, methods, information, and technology in a safe and ethical manner
- Perceive, reflect upon, and evaluate the characteristics, purposes, and merits of their work and the work of others
- Identify, analyze, and apply criteria for making visual aesthetic judgments
- Develop an aesthetic awareness and personal philosophy regarding nature, meaning, and value in the visual arts
In addition we try to reinforce or pace with Home room subjects like reading, writing, math, social studies and science whenever possible while maintaining the integrity of the Visual Arts curriculum.