Happy Sunday, Seahawk Families! It’s Principal Knight with your weekly Seahawk Playbook. Welcome to week 14. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.
In news this week:
- Please find a link to our NEW virtual learning student schedule. SMS Revised Virtual Learning Student Schedule. After some lessons learned over the course of both virtual and hybrid learning, we’ve augmented our schedule to protect instructional time, but to better reflect class times that balance screen time and long periods of sedentariness. We’ve adjusted to embed the need for longer transitions, while also providing a brief daily support block for students who may need assistance before or after Wednesday’s asynchronous intervention day. Additionally, we’ve kept in mind that those who don’t require the daily extra support may, instead, just need a more sustained period of time away from the screen to eat, stretch, get some air, or just clear their head before their final two classes of the day. During this most unusual school year where technology reigns supreme, we still strongly believe in balancing the needs of the whole child and encourage our Seahawks to be engaged and present during class and instructional time, but to take advantage of the extended non-instructional windows of time to keep a healthy balance.
- Remember, Wednesdays remain our asynchronous day where students must log in, on time, to their SOAR block at 7:35 for attendance and a check in. Additionally, Wednesdays will remain our student support and intervention day whereby students, parents, and/or teachers can schedule direct or small group assistance.
- Our School Board would like to engage two parents from each school community in a focus group to discuss the state of virtual learning and next steps. If your child remained 100% virtual when Cohort 4 returned and you would like to be part of this opportunity to engage the Chesterfield School Board in a constructive conversation about the virtual learning environment and to share your feedback, please send me an email just noting your interest. I will pass along the first two names that I receive to the CCPS Parent Engagement Coordinator. I really would like the voice of Salem families to be represented. So, please let me know if you’re interested!
- The week right before Winter Break is Spirit Week at SMS and we really want as many students to participate as possible. They will be able to submit their pictures to a shared folder for us to post and display. Some pictures will appear on our school website and our social media sites. Please take a look at the Spirit Week details here and get your Seahawk camera ready as we hope to end the calendar year on a spirit-filled note!
- Lastly, I plan to host a virtual parent meeting on Wednesday, December 16th at 5:00pm (just before winter break) to provide an overview of the state of virtual learning at SMS, hear your feedback, answer your questions, and discuss ways to finish the semester (which ends on January 29th) strong. Please be on the lookout next week for a link to our discussion. For now, please just save the date and time. I look forward to engaging with you!
- Winter break begins on Monday, December 21st and runs through Friday, January 1st, 2021. There will be no school for staff or students.
- Please don’t forget to consider joining the Kroger Rewards program to support our school. By doing so, our school automatically earns a small percentage of what you spend at the store that comes at no cost to you. Here is more information on the Kroger Rewards Program, as well as a link that details how to sign up. Thank you for your support!
Grade Level Newsletters
Save the Dates:
12/9 Mission Tomorrow Virtual Field Trip for 8th graders (with signed permission slips)
12/21-1/3: Winter Break Staff and Student Holiday –No School (Virtual or In-Person)
Other Important Links
SMS Absence Reporting Form or email our Attendance Secretary at Donna_Evans@ccpsnet.net
If you are experiencing issues with Canvas contact: Thomas_Acker@ccpsnet.net
If your child needs a new Chromebook Charger:CCPS Chromebook Charger Replacement Information