Happy Sunday, Seahawk Families! It’s Principal Knight with your weekly Seahawk Playbook. Welcome to week 15 and the final school week before winter break. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. This will be our final newsletter until we return in January.
In news this week:
- Our first Spirit Week has arrived and we really want as many students to participate as possible. The Flip Grid link was shared with students last week. For your reference, parents, here it is in case you’d like to upload your child’s photos. Some pictures will appear on our school website and our social media sites. Please take a look at the Spirit Week details here and get your Seahawk camera ready as we hope to end the calendar year on a spirit-filled note! https://flipgrid.com/smshoopla
- Also, I know that many are super happy about getting ready for the holidays and are looking forward to disconnecting virtually and physically from devices and the school environment for a while. We understand and support that all the same, which is why we want to prioritize your family time this year by not issuing any newly assigned graded work over the break, as it is just that–a break. However, if a student does have some activities that they have not completed and are past due, they should definitely carve out a bit of time to complete the missing work so that they can put that stress behind them.
Aside from outstanding work, our wonderful teachers have created a few optional neat activities that students are welcomed to do as a form of exercise, entertainment, and meaningful stimulation. Please check out the two holiday choice boards designed to keep your kids moving, helping, and having fun!
- During the month of January students will be completing the Winter MAP’s Assessment through their Math and English classes on Tuesdays in the areas of Math, Reading, and Language Usage. The attached calendar outlines the dates and times. Students will be given one full class period on “Test Tuesday” to complete the assessment. This is standard and is usually more than enough time. However, if your child is unable to complete the assessment within the allocated class time, they will be given the opportunity to finish it on the following Wednesday between 7:35 a.m-10:30 a.m. with their related assessment teacher. Teachers will provide them with all the necessary links and information to complete their test on their testing day.
Additionally on Wednesday’s, during the month of January, 8th grade students ONLY will need to meet with their counselor, Ms. Traci Hixson, to begin creating their Academic & Career Plans. If you have any additional questions, please use the contact information provided below.
- Lastly, this brings us to our final Seahawk Family meeting of the calendar year. I plan to host a virtual parent meeting this Wednesday, December 16th at 5:00pm to provide an overview of the state of virtual learning at SMS, hear your feedback, answer your questions, and discuss ways to finish the semester (which ends on January 29th) strong. Please see the meeting link invitation and join code below. We will be using the Zoom meeting platform this time. Please download Zoom onto your computer and/or phone prior to the meeting.
- Join Zoom Meeting:
- Winter break begins on Monday, December 21st and runs through Friday, January 1st, 2021. There will be no school for staff or students.
- Please don’t forget to consider joining the Kroger Rewards program to support our school. By doing so, our school automatically earns a small percentage of what you spend at the store that comes at no cost to you. Here is more information on the Kroger Rewards Program, as well as a link that details how to sign up. Thank you for your support!
Grade Level Newsletters
Save the Dates:
12/21-1/3: Winter Break Staff and Student Holiday –No School (Virtual or In-Person)
Other Important Links
SMS Absence Reporting Form or email our Attendance Secretary at Donna_Evans@ccpsnet.net
If you are experiencing issues with Canvas contact: Thomas_Acker@ccpsnet.net
If your child is experiencing technical difficulties with their Chromebook and/or needs a new one click here for access to the CCPS Chromebook Basics homepage and navigate to the tech support form.
If your child needs a new Chromebook Charger:CCPS Chromebook Charger Replacement Information
CCPS Meal Service
To best serve families while students are away from school in an all-virtual learning environment, Chesterfield County Public Schools’ Food and Nutrition Services has added offsite meals distribution locations and reopened many school locations for curbside pickup.
All Chesterfield County youth ages 18 and under, regardless of household income, are eligible to receive free school meals through June 18, 2021. Curbside pick-up for FREE meals for children ages 18 and under will be offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only.
To see the full update and meals distribution locations and times, visit bit.ly/CCPSMealsUpdates