Happy Sunday, Seahawk Families! It’s Principal Knight with your weekly Seahawk Playbook. Welcome to Week 35 of the school year. I hope all of our Seahawk Mother’s, Bonus Moms, Stepmoms, and Stand-in Moms and caregivers had a wonderful Mother’s Day.
Here’s What’s Happening in Seahawk News This Week:
1. Thank you to all who took the time to show appreciation to our teachers last week during teacher appreciation week. I appreciate it and they do too. And a special thank you to all of our sponsors and partners who assisted us in making their week special: Communities in Schools, Bridging RVA, Cookies for Caregivers, Ms. Alisa Willoughby, Dante’s of Iron Bridge, Chick-Fil-A, and Belle Greek. Thank you all so much!
2. Now, this week, we embark on another week of appreciation that we extend to the other caregivers in our community and they are our School Nurses. Welcome to Nurses Appreciation Week. Here we take a moment to pause to express a huge thank you to our beloved Nurse Sara Zawril and our beloved Clinic Assistant, Ms. Cynthia Wells. We are grateful for all they’ve done to not only help us to navigate this BIG pandemic, but for every little bump and bruise, and ache and pain they’ve helped our children overcome along the way. We appreciate you both immensely!
3. This week begins our official SOL Testing week and we will begin with science testing this week. Our In-person learner participants in grades 7 and 8 will take their SOL on Tuesday, May 11th and our Virtual learner participants will come to the building to test on Wednesday, May 12th. Please ensure that your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test, eats a healthy breakfast that morning, and doesn’t arrive late or leave early for appointments that day. Also, please remind students to bring their fully charged Chromebooks. Testing begins promptly at 7:35 a.m. On their test day, Virtual learning students should arrive no later than 7:30 a.m. and will report to the cafeteria when they arrive. Testing should be over by approximately 11:00 am, so virtual learning students should be picked up at that time, unless arrangements for bus transportation were made in advance. If you have specific SOL testing questions, please contact our Coordinator of Testing and Remediation at Moira_Sallade@ccpsnet.net. Please see this link for specific, detailed information regarding testing and our procedures. SMS Science SOL Testing Schedule and Procedures
4. This is a friendly reminder that the online registration for Summer School will be open from May 1st-June 1st. This year, Summer School will be housed at L.C. Bird High School, and transportation will be provided if you get your child’s registration completed by June 1st. If you have any other questions regarding summer school, please email the Summer School Principal, Tamara Tuck, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more details about summer school and the links for registration and other summer learning opportunities, please visit the Chesterfield County Summer Programs site.
5. CCPS is offering students in K-8 an opportunity to attend a new Virtual Academy if they still do not feel comfortable returning to school in the fall for the 2021-2022 school year. Students will learn synchronously online from home or another place of their choosing. They will work with a licensed CCPS teacher who may not be a teacher from their home school and likely will be in a virtual classroom with students from other schools. The school day will follow the traditional school day schedule with core courses and resource classes, as well as tiered student supports. Specialized programs (such as CBG) may not be available. Families will decide whether to enroll in the Virtual Academy for just the first semester or the entire school year. If your K-8 student is interested in registering for the Virtual Academy for the 2021-22 school year, please use this registration form. The registration deadline for the K-8 Virtual Academy is June 1, 2021. CCPSOnline is another option for secondary students. Additional information about that program can be found here. Registration for CCPSOnline ends July 9.
That’s all for now. Let’s make it a great week!
Other Important Links
Curbside meals service distribution will continue to be on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. A current list of available curbside pickup locations can be found at bit.ly/CCPSMealsUpdates.
If you are experiencing issues with Canvas contact: Thomas_Acker@ccpsnet.net