Families are responsible for getting their children to the bus stop safely, reviewing safety and behavior expectations and reinforcing these with children.
- Use ParentVUE to add or update any alternate addresses (i.e. day care provider) where students will be picked up and/or dropped off on a routine basis. Learn more about adding alternative addresses into ParentVUE.
- Know which days your student will need transportation to school.
- Know your bus stop location before school begins. Visit e-Link to locate your designated stop.
- Accompany pre-K and kindergarten students at the bus stop in the morning and afternoon.
- Pre-K and kindergarten students will be returned to school if a designated individual is not present at the bus stop to collect the student. At the driver’s discretion, older students may also be returned to school if a designated individual is not present to pick them up.
- Head Start students will be returned to school if a designated individual with the matching unique identifier is not present at the bus stop. Pictures on phones will not be accepted.
- Review school procedures for temporary changes to busing arrangements. Students who plan to use transportation other than their regular bus, or load or unload at a different stop, must have written parental permission and receive prior written approval from the appropriate school official. Documentation of the school’s approval must be presented to the bus driver. Final approval is provided by the transportation department based on bus capacity.
- Teach your children about school bus safety, and talk about it often. Ask questions to make sure they understand.
- Wait to meet your child on the side of the bus they will exit. Eager children may disregard safety training.
- Recognize bus drivers for performing their jobs safely.
The bus should be considered an extension of the classroom, and families should emphasize this to students. Riding the bus is a privilege that can be taken away if the rules are not obeyed. Review the Chesterfield County Public Schools Standards for Student Conduct which also applies at bus stops and on school buses.
Before loading the bus, students should
- walk to the bus, not run
- arrive to the bus stop at least five minutes early, and ten minutes early during the first week of school
- stand at least 10 feet from the road while waiting for the bus
- stand at least 10 feet from a moving bus and wait until the bus stops before approaching
- wait for the driver to motion the direction to cross in front of the bus if needed
- form a line and take turns to board the bus in an orderly way
- be picked up only at their designated bus stop.
While on the bus, students should
- always remain in the assigned bus seat
- exit the bus only at the assigned stop
- respect the bus driver, other students and property
- obey the bus driver’s instructions
- keep hands and feet off others and their property
- face forward while the bus is in motion
- keep the aisle clear
- keep all body parts inside the bus
- speak only to those nearby using an inside voice and respectful words
- share the seat with others
- place bookbags under the bus seat or in the lap
- place trash in the wastebasket
- communicate problems or conflicts with the bus driver
- never tamper with emergency equipment or damage the bus
- never throw objects
- never eat, drink, litter or use alcohol, tobacco or drugs
- never bring weapons, dangerous objects or weapon replicas on the school bus
- never vandalize a school bus — this may result in restitution, loss of riding privileges, suspension from school and/or legal prosecution
After leaving the bus, students should
- wait until instructed to exit the bus
- walk away from the bus immediately after exiting
- wait for the driver’s thumbs-up signal before crossing in front of the bus
- maintain 10 feet of separation from the bus
- exit only at designated bus stops unless approved through school protocol
- never walk behind the bus
- never crawl under a bus; if an item is dropped, tell the driver and they will determine next steps follow the directions of school staff regarding entering school